Anybody know how to get Wine Update (currently 0.9.4 to install on Knoppix 5.1.1 after installing to the hard drive? It seems that Knoppix 5.1.1 comes with Wine 0.9.12, which is rather dated. www.winehq.com provides the latest and greatest on WINE, but does not provide a package specific to Knoppix, and the info supplied there seems incomplete. The WINE Documentations gives the following instructions to compile from the source code:

$ ./configure
$ make depend
$ make
$ make install

You would run these from the folder where you extract the contents of the source archive (if it is a Tar.bz2 file, you can still use ark to extract it). Trouble is, I tried this with wine 0.9.47 and got an error that the gcc comiler could not build the executables.
There is a configure file included with 0.9.48, and I tried that as well, but it reported it could not find .in or ..

This is troubling, so I guess I could use some help at this point. I'd like to add winehq to my apt sources for future updates, but they seem to be building updates specific to other distributions, so I guess this might not be an option right now.