Thread: Newbie Q's - what's running? How to control processes?

Junior Member registered user

Newbie Q's - what's running? How to control processes?

I am new to Knoppix and linux, so if these questions are stupid, please don't be too harsh.
    Do a whole heap of possibly unnecessary processes load when Knoppix starts? If so, where can I see what they are, and can they be turned off? Other than basic internet access, I don't need any networking and don't want anything running that permits any remote connection to my computer, or anything "phoning" out from my computer.
    Is there a single list of all of the programs/utilities included with Knoppix and what they are, or is there a good site for looking them up?
    Finally, can I get an icon show up when connected to the internet? Is there a way of controlling connection to my router in the software (or do I just need to unplug it)?
    Thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    to begin with
    Code:
    ps -aux
    in a console gives a full list of running processes.
    so does
    Code:
    you kill top by hitting Q.

in top and ps -aux, you can see how much CPU and memory they use, fraction of a percent if inactive,
    you may perhaps need to add |less after ps -aux (ps -aux|less) then use arrowkeys to go up/down, to see everything, again you kill less by hitting q.

now as for network acess,
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    should shut the networkacess off (eth0 = first network card)
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    restarts it again.

as far as I know no remote access is allowed to knoppix by default.

yes there is a list of programs on the CD and DVD, but processes is another matter.

Thanks, OErjan, I'll take a look.

Re: Newbie Q's - what's running? How to control processes?

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog
    Do a whole heap of possibly unnecessary processes load when Knoppix starts? If so, where can I see what they are, and can they be turned off?
    Thanks.
    As regard the unecessary processess at start, usually they are handled in defferent ways according as specific linux distro. In Debian which Knoppix is based, they resides in the '/etc/rc*.d' directories as symlinks. This is a not very simple topic to explain, but as an example: don't you have a printer connected to your pc? Ok delete all symlinks which are ending with 'cupsys', so as root type 'rm -rf /etc/rc*.d/*cupsys' AT YOUR OWN RISK! :P

Well, trying to stop network access came up with permission denied. Thanks anyway.

you must ofcourse be root. sorry i for got that step.
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    shold work, also
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    most things on the aminitrative side requires root access (root=admin=superuser=G O D! in linux)

you must ofcourse be root. sorry i for got that step.
    Thanks very much, but it is way too involved to be of any use -it'd be much easier to pull the plug. But as I have no idea of what the program is doing or how to interpret the network monitoring, the whole thing is way beyond my capabilities and I'll quit while I'm ahead. Thanks again.

I can get damsmalllinux to boot,but can't connect to internet,what am I doing wrong?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie60
    I can get damsmalllinux to boot,but can't connect to internet,what am I doing wrong?
    • 1. You're making your posts in other people's threads about completely different topics rather than starting your own tread. This is sometimes called "hijacking a thread" and is not appreciated.

2. You're not posting in the networking section where this would likely get the most help.

3. You don't give any information for anyone to even start trying to help you. See answer #3.