Thread: Knoppix and RAW Partition

Knoppix and RAW Partition

I know the following is sort of long, but If you think you can help me with recovering some files that mean the world to me, i would deeply appricate it.

Ok so i did the unthinkable yesterday, while going into the windows xp setup to install windows xp, I deleted my back up. Before i get to my question let me first tell you everything that has happened.

First i have 2 hardrives, drives that i will call C and D. C has always had windows on it. D however, has had 6 partitions, 5 of them belonged to fedora linux with a grub boot loader, and the sixth was a 100gig backup for my windows. Well i was deleting all of the fedora linux partitions when i also deleted the back up partition by mistake. So basically what i just did was dump NTFS and a bunch of linux files including a linux boot record into the same raw partition. Realizing what i did, i formated C: and got out of there, and booted "Herins boot recovery disk" I did active unease which is a partition recovery tool for dos/windows. Well since dos v7 back in 1994, everything DOS is now pretty much microsoft based that just looks like dos, so needless to say, when i scaned for all the files, because it found that boot record from linux, it didnt allow me to access or recover any of those files. Now what im afraid is, this:

When i started unerase it said that the MBR didnt match the ntfs (from C i suppose) and asked me if i wanted to copy it, without thinking about the linux partition or bootrecord i said yes. And from then on i think i changed everything to ntfs. Well now windows cant read it, i cant recorver it and when i boot up knoppix and try to look in there, i can see the grub boot loader and a few other files but thats it, nothing else, no home, no dev, no anything from anywhere linux or windows. So im not too sure what to do. Im not sure if i can get a recovery software that would help me, and also run it from knoppix, but thats what i was thinking about doing, you see, everything that is out there is only for ext2 or ext3. So im guessing that will not help me.

I am a webdesigner and have many jobs to do that are comming in at every moment. It is my only source of income and loosing this biz is going to be devistating. If you can be of any help, im willing to try it, just please, help as soon as possible

Thanks in advance
    Jake

Member registered user
    Try TESTDISK it is on the knoppix cd. It will check for lost partitions and check the volume boot record. (If you used Windows to delete the partition it might have cleared the data in the VBR also.) go to www.testdisk.com to read the how to use.