Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

Junior Member registered user
    At the boot prompt, type in - knoppix lang=us
    Shift 0 gets the = sign

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks macs, but I prefer to wait for whatever Klaus decides id to be released to the Internet. Even, if like las year, it never gets released.
    Hello Harry,

Do you know how the cebit knoppix 5.3 is licensed?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Hello pnti, no I don't. I would expect it to be "open source" (even though the sources have been getting harder to come by with Knoppix versions). I don't know if it's GPL2, GPL3 or what. I expect that it's a mixture, maybe even some software with restrictions on it. I'm not clear on why you are asking this. My preference is simply to wait until Klaus sees fit to release his work to the Internet. I'm not saying that others who post it are breaking any law, don't know if they are or not, but I don't think it respects the author to release his work to the Internet before he chooses to. It may ever reduce the urgency in his mind to get an official Internet version released.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    I downloaded both DVD ISOs, and while the one from thepiratebay.org was little bit larger than the one from linuxtracker.org, the list of installed packages from each is identical.

(And apart from some proprietary drivers for something called an AVM Fritz!Card, on cursory inspection, I don't see any proprietary software.)

I also tried running the Knoppix installer to install Knoppix in "Debian" mode (twice) and ended up with a GRUB error 2 ("Bad file or directory type") when trying to access the kernel (or any file on the partition, for that matter) both times. So I gave up and reinstalled the distro I previously had on that partition, with no problems -- i.e. there's no problem with the partition itself. Bit of a mystery there.

Junior Member registered user
    Hello

Well, Knoppix in HD-Installation "debian=mode" is not a good idea. In the current c't Magazin the Installation is not decribed, only said Knoppix is a live-DVD and Installation not recommended..

But I changed my poorman install from version 5.2 to 5.3 and it works fine and, startet with grub in the mbr, it is fast enough for tests and work.

Visitors of the CEBit and K.Knopper's presentation of Knoppix 5.3 told, that K.K. mentioned version 5.3.1 will come for download "a week after CEBit".

Member registered user

Re: Knoppix 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by rosinskitg
    I downloaded knoppix 5.3 Geran version not realizing that it actually was all German version. Is there anyway I can make it into a permanent Enlish/USA one? Not just the keyboard either, I mean everything including the OS, programs and the whole distro load.
    Response from knopnet to me worked for 5.2 have note tired with 5.3 yet

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:20 am

Maybe this will help:

1. Get 5.2 running in German.
    2. Select the K Menu button.
    3. Select Kontrollzentrum.
    4. Select Regionaleinstellungen.
    5. Select Land/Region & Sprache.
    6. Select Sprache Hinzufugen.
    7. Select US-Englisch.
    8. Select US English.
    9. Select Anwenden.
    10. Select OK.
    11. Wait.
    12. Select Datei.
    13. Select Beenden.
    14. Select K Menu button.
    15. Select Abmelden.
    16. Select Aktuelle Sitzung Beenden.
    17. Wait.
    18 Enjoy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The humor-impaired should stop reading here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of you Deutsch sprechen sheisskopfen could have helped an inbred hillbilly out a little with this one.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Hello pnti, no I don't. I would expect it to be "open source" (even though the sources have been getting harder to come by with Knoppix versions). I don't know if it's GPL2, GPL3 or what. I expect that it's a mixture, maybe even some software with restrictions on it. I'm not clear on why you are asking this. My preference is simply to wait until Klaus sees fit to release his work to the Internet. I'm not saying that others who post it are breaking any law, don't know if they are or not, but I don't think it respects the author to release his work to the Internet before he chooses to. It may ever reduce the urgency in his mind to get an official Internet version released.
    Hello Harry,

Thanks for your response. I asked you about formal status of the new Knoppix simply because I assume that you are the expert in this matter.

I am one of very few who used not to break computer (?) law. I don't use any p2p software to download movies, songs, software and so on. I assume that most users of Free/Open Software follow the rules and understand our common interest. For instance I am not going to distribute new Knoppix until it is publically available.

But on the other hand KNX 5.3 IS available on Cebit and enclosed to ct magazine so in my oppinion there is no reason to wait to start talking about new Knoppix. WE are the Knopper's army .

Moderator Moderator
    Hi,
    FYI, the KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso available via bittorrnet on
    http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?pa...fe0b93ee389fbd
    is incomplete since the end part of the DVD is missing and leads to corrupted files.

The bittorrent http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4066611/...08-edition.iso
    can be used to check and update an incomplete iso (after renaming the file) and avoid re-downloading the whole thing again.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Moderator Moderator

How to extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ?

Since I did not get an answer on the debian mailing list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00013.html
    I will try again in here:
    In order to customize your minirt and some features like: iso boot from ntfs, customized hostname,...
    I found out this problem: how do you extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ?
    Usually "gunzip initrd.gz" and "cpio -imvd -I ../initrd" does the job but not this time:
    Each files of the minirt cpio archive file contains a leading "/" which makes the data of the minirt cpio archive
    to be stored in the "root" instead of the current directory, overriding the system files of the running system.
    I cannot find any cpio option to override the leading "/".
    Please help...
    Thank you and Best Regards,
    Gilles

Re: How to extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.g

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Since I did not get an answer on the debian mailing list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00013.html
    I will try again in here:
    In order to customize your minirt and some features like: iso boot from ntfs, customized hostname,...
    I found out this problem: how do you extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ?
    Usually "gunzip initrd.gz" and "cpio -imvd -I ../initrd" does the job but not this time:
    Each files of the minirt cpio archive file contains a leading "/" which makes the data of the minirt cpio archive
    to be stored in the "root" instead of the current directory, overriding the system files of the running system.
    I cannot find any cpio option to override the leading "/".
    Please help...
    Thank you and Best Regards,
    Gilles
    First of all, thanks for pointing out that the linuxtracker torrent provides an incomplete copy of the CeBIT image. I suspected as much!

You probably already have a workaround for the Knoppix customization, but I'll post some stream-of-consciousness ideas just in case.
    1) Hack the cpio file directories with sed or hexedit.
    2) Use chroot to provide a safe root.
    3) Use unionfs or aufs to provide a safe root.
    4) Use pax to convert to and from tar.
    5) Use pax directly.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast