Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Hi,
    FYI, the KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso available via bittorrnet on
    http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?pa...fe0b93ee389fbd
    is incomplete since the end part of the DVD is missing and leads to corrupted files.

The bittorrent http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4066611/...08-edition.iso
    can be used to check and update an incomplete iso (after renaming the file) and avoid re-downloading the whole thing again.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles
    Ah, so that's why the file sizes are different. (Even so, I didn't experience any problems running the one from LinuxTracker.)

Good luck creating an NTFS-bootable minirt, and thanks for all your work.

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 5.3.1 - Status

FYI:
    The current status of Knoppix 5.3.1:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00019.html

( I found the link at distrowatch.com )

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Eppo
    .... version 5.3.1 will come for download "a week after CEBit".
    Well, I was pretty doubtful that this target date would be made. CEBit opened 2 weeks ago now, and closed over a week ago. Looks like we have already slipped another week. See Eppo's post here, which gives what Klaus calls an "Internal release date" of this coming Saturday. I'm not sure what an Internal date is for a version that is released directly to the Internet, not to manufacturing, but I figure this date has about even odds of being met. Unless Internal means it is released to a few key testers, which could mean several more weeks of delay for testing and any additional fixes. If it does come out this weekend though I would suggest that users burn this release to rewriteable media and watch for a bug fix version a few weeks later. (We are those testers!) And, of course, stay away from the e-bay resellers unless you want your marginal high speed burn to be outdated by the time it arrives.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but Klaus seems to feel he is under pressure to get something out to the Internet after 5.2x never made it out (we basically still have the 2006 trade show version with some minor fixes). Start watching the official torrent tracker starting this weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Hi,
    FYI, the KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso available via bittorrnet on
    http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?pa...fe0b93ee389fbd
    is incomplete since the end part of the DVD is missing and leads to corrupted files.

The bittorrent http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4066611/...08-edition.iso
    can be used to check and update an incomplete iso (after renaming the file) and avoid re-downloading the whole thing again.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles
    I just had to let them know about it. http://linuxtracker.org/smf/index.php?topic=97.0

I took the 4.2 gig file from the knoppix iso hosted through your torrent here and copied it into the one at piratebay's download dir on my machine. Then I renamed it to match the name for the piratebay torrent's iso file. That torrent gets knoppix-5.3-dvd-ct-heise.de-cebit2008-edition.iso
    which repaired your's by getting just the last 16 chunks.

You can see the post from Gilles over at the Knoppix forum confirming this... http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=117095#117095

The correct file md5sum is
    md5sum: 0d88e792f397e918b867c9c6836cd9a7 knoppix-5.3-dvd-ct-heise.de-cebit2008-edition.iso
    size: 4,575,754,240 bytes

while yours is
    md5sum:
    97f3a3e43d5907a4faa96f6a059014eb KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso
    size: 4,544,249,856 bytes

knoppix 5.3.1 released! The more the merrier.

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

Quote Originally Posted by greymnk
    knoppix 5.3.1 released! The more the merrier.

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
    I'm in... and Thank You Klaus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Is there a CD version or is there only a DVD version? I could use a new CD version to update my flashdrive's copy of knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsuco
    Is there a CD version .....
    Only a DVD version for now (in both English[EN] and German[DE] versions). In the past a CD version has come out later, although if serious bugs are caught there may be no CD release of this version and we would have to wait for the bug fixes and the next DVD first. Of course, a CD version is a handy thing to have, as there are still a lot of systems that can boot a CD and not a DVD. But at least we are starting to see a new release. My download is at 21.9% as I write this.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

So how much of a lag between DVD and CD is there generally? I am so thrilled this has finally come out, I was growing quite tired of having to use software from a year ago.

5.3.1 first impressions

Just a few first observations on 5.3.1. I've been playing with it for a little over an hour now:

I'm glad to have a new release after quite a long wait (although there was a Jan '07 release of 5.1.1, this is really the first major update in about two years). But I didn't see a lot of big changes. There is no list of changes, closest there would be is a list of packages on the DVD.

The DVD boots fine on a new HP DV6000 laptop. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot on my Compaq Presario 1700 notebook, and the problem is not apparent. It doesn't seem to be a cheat code issue, as the boot gets into the GUI just fine and even lets me open SDA1 if I want; but the boot just never finishes and I never get the menu items in the bottom toolbar (as a result I can't run much of anything and have to power off rater than do a normal shutdown). I'll need to do more experimenting on other systems and perhaps with another burn of the DVD. No good understanding of this yet, but I'm mentioning this now in case others are seeing it also.

VirtualBOX is iincluded. I'm looking forward to trying out an alternative virtual machine system to VMware, although I'm quite happy with VMware. No virtual machines were included, so users will have to start from scratch and create their own.

I was really shocked that GIMP does NOT seem to be included, at least it wasn't in the Graphics menu. Of course, any Live DVD has to choose which programs to include and which to omit and there's no pleasing everyone, but this is one of the most well known major open source applications. I'm hard pressed to understand why it isn't there.

5.0x and 5.1x were a major disappointment for me in the wireless area, interfaces that I have that worked in 4.02 stopped working, and interfaces that other Linux Live CD recognize have never been recognized at all by Knoppix. I was hoping that 5.3.1 would improve the wireless situation, but at least for me this does not seem to be the case. I'm still having problems recognizing hardware and connecting o a system that could connect in 4.02. And WPA still seems to be missing (WEP has been so badly broken in the last year that it's foolish to use it at all now, not that it was ever safe.) This is unfortunate because with all of the problems wifi faces, I would prefer to use a Live DVD if I ever surf the web from a public access point rather than expose my installed system to attacks. But Knoppix 5.3.1 sure doesn't play well with my hardware. Others with different hardware and not needing WPA (it's not used by many public access spots, after all) may fare better. I do expect the posts by newbees in these forums who expect and want wireless support with continue and increase though.

Just a very minor issue: The menu system doesn't seem very well thought out or polished. Why, for example, have a sub-menu on a Live DVD with only one item in it, as is the case in multimedia/video ? The application could just as well be moved to the next level up and the sub-menu eliminated.

Overall, I'm glad to see a new version of Knoppix has come out. I do expect and hope that there are a lot of improvements that are not immidately apparent. I'll certainly be keeping a copy of this in my case of discs that I take with me troubleshooting. But I'm not likely to hand out copies of this version like I did with the 3.x and 4.02 versions. I want to fnd something more polished and with better wifi support to introduce new users to Linux.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast