Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by maybeway36
    Here's how to make a modified version of the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition ISO that defaults to English:
    3. Edit the isolinux.cfg to make the default language "us":
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/lang=jp/lang=us/g' knoppix/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    I had to use the following command to make it work: (The isolinux.cfg had 'ja' at the language code, not 'jp')
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/lang=ja/lang=us/g' knoppix/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    Anyway, if anyone wants to save the time of making the change yourself, here's a link to the patched ISO (Knoppix 5.3 CD version, file size 733239296 bytes) that I made using mabeway36's instructions:
    http://www2.maiman.net/knoppix

I don't have the bandwidth to host the ISO for a large number of downloads, so it's in torrent format.

Member registered user

5.3.1 and 5.1.1

Regarding the official Knoppix 5.3.1 live CD version. I believe Klauss may release one at one point but I believe he's hard at work concentrating working on the next version of Knoppix and he's leaving it up to us to create Live CD's for each other.

We can thank an earlier chap for creating one for us so we can all have a look.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Is 5.3.1 better than 5.1.1? I've been hearing people migrating back to work with 5.1.1 Confuses me on which one people should begin with.

Any opinions?

Member registered user
    I've got 5.1.1 on CD and 5.3.1 on DVD (the official version in both cases). They are not really comparable because the DVD version offers so much more than the CD version, but I find that both work excellently. The DVD version has a couple of things that I need that the CD version lacks, including gnuplot and gcc, so during sessions that I need them, I use the DVD. From a purely physical point of view, the DVD sometimes fails to boot on my work machine (maybe 2/10 of occasions) whereas it always boots successfully at home (being the machine on which the DVD was created, as it happens). I think the engineering tolerances are so fine because of the amount squeezed into the DVD, that the reader simply fails sometimes. I think it's this kind of failure that causes some users to throw their arms into the air, panic and revert. (Why is this? If their car fails to start, do people throw it away or go and buy the old one back? People seem to have expectations of software and hardware that would be obviously unrealistc in any other context.) I do not regard either version as "better" than the other, it's just that one of them is bigger. They are both staggeringly good!
    Fergus

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by fergus
    .....the DVD sometimes fails to boot on my work machine (maybe 2/10 of occasions) whereas it always boots successfully at home (being the machine on which the DVD was created, as it happens). I think the engineering tolerances are so fine because of the amount squeezed into the DVD, that the reader simply fails sometimes. I think it's this kind of failure that causes some users to throw their arms into the air, panic and revert.....
    DVDs can hold a lot of data, even the single layer ones that you would use for Knoppix. (Clearly this is not an issue about how much Knoppix packs on specifically, as it packs the data at the same density as any other program would, even if you wrote Puppy Linux to a DVD the spiral would be the same spacing it is with Knoppix). Yea, there do seem to be a lot of slight tolerance issues. These are inflated greatly by doing a burn at high speed. DVD media is also am issue, I have some media that gives me a lot of bad burns when I do everything correct and burn at low speed, other brands that give me much better results. Brand name or paying a lot is no assurance of media quality. I do all of my DVD burns at 4x. Yea, i could do them faster at higher speeds, all of my burners (except maybe the one in my notebook) are rated a lot faster, and all of my media is rated at at least 8x, but doing so leads to problems. Unfortunately, while I have found that the slower I do a CD burn the better quality it is, I have seen some issues on DVD burns when I go at speeds below 4x, so for me all DVD burns (on non-rewritable media) are done at 4x). If you burned at a faster speed I suggest that you try burning another disc at low speed and see if it doesn't boot more reliably on your work system. Other things to try are different media and even burning the DVD at low speed at work. There are some problems booting the Knoppix DVD that seem to be BIOS related, which are understandably extremely frustrating for new users, but your problem does indeed seem to be one of micro tolerances or even dust or oil on optics, and there is a good chance that you could resolve it, particularly if your original burn was at a speed greater than 4x.

Member registered user
    Grub booting the DVD.iso from/on/in a Usb stick has none of these DVD issue problems and there is no need to revert for any reason. However i do use puppy if i need Wifi.

Member registered user

Re: 5.3.1 and 5.1.1

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Is 5.3.1 better than 5.1.1? I've been hearing people migrating back to work with 5.1.1 Confuses me on which one people should begin with.

Any opinions?
    I found 5.1.1 very stable if you avoid a few gotchas (ran 6mo w/o reboot).
    OTOH 5.3.1 has already taken a dive twice (on a P2 and on a Xeon HT with ECC RAM)
    when KDE 3.5.9 (or X?) got stuck during alt-tab and I had to ctrl-alt-backspace out of X losing
    all open work.
    KDE 3.5.9 printing has died twice (OO would still print, but not kwrite)
    KDE 3.5.9 got stuck changing themes and would no longer start konqueror.

5.1.1 was not perfect - OpenOffice killed KDE (X?) frequently, so one would have to upgrade that.
    Kalarm often crashed KDE (but the maintainer has a fixed version).
    Dragging tabs in Firefox crashed KDE (hardlocked once dragging to 2nd window IIRC) in 5.1.1
    5.1.1's LVM died when an external USB drive w LVM2 did a random disconnect -
    my other external HD's LVMs all got disconnected too! LVM froze!
    but 5.3.1 is still changing external HD path (sda1->sdb1, sda2->sdb2) on momentary disconnects, so that is not fixed yet. (USB drops for split second, even with 2 head usb cable, usually during an rsync backup.)
    This has happened repeatably with 3 drives on 3 machines - not rare on 5.1.1 or 5.3.1. Flash drives & HD's.
    All 3 drives had already passed mke2fs -cc torture tests w no disconnect on plain USB cables.

5.1.1 will not make a useable persistent image file - apt will fail early and often.
    (5.3.1 puts lots of copies of the .wh. tree on the image - make the image file twice the size you need)
    5.1.1 seems to leak memory, so use a 4G swap if you don't reboot often.
    It fragments RAM, so you need at least 750M ram if you don't reboot often.
    5.1.1 has many security patches to do for kernel & X - not easy.

Making a new custom minirt.gz for 5.1.1 is easy.
    I have 20+ failed minirt.gz for 5.3.1, zero working - even just touch a file and it won't load.
    (I did a chroot, followed the howto's etc.)

If etch-backports has what you need, and you don't need support for new hardware, 5.1.1 can be good.
    I feel stuck with too many packages too many versions back.
    5.3.1 is not trouble-free in this regard - some updates drag in 30+ other updates unless you
    guess the right sequence to apt-get

Which to use? I guess it depends on your needs.
    Charles

Member registered user
    Having problems to have my sata HDD in a MD8818 seen, I wanted to try the latest 5.3.1 CD to see if support is added now.
    All I seem to find as official release is the DVD, which is too huge at this stage.

Through search I found an announcement of a 5.3.1 CD, but it's not clear if it is an official piec of work.
    In any case, the link to this release either give time outs or I get always a message that the max allowed users (50) is reached.

Is there another place to download this 5.3.1.CD?

Quote Originally Posted by amaiman
    I had to use the following command to make it work: (The isolinux.cfg had 'ja' at the language code, not 'jp')
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/lang=ja/lang=us/g' knoppix/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    Thanks for the tip. I fixed my post so now it tells users to run both jp and ja commands (it can't hurt.)

Moderator Moderator

knoppix-autoconfig patch for Knoppix 5.3.1

Hello,
    It looks like that the Knoppix 5.3.1 /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig cannot find a knoppix.sh
    script to run at boot time when using myconf=scan as a kernel cheat code.
    Please find below a link of a patch proposal allowing me to merge at boot time
    the VmWare 6.5.0 tools with the Knoppix 5.3.1 or Knoppix 5.1.1 iso, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

--> http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/...autoconfig.zip <--

Best Regards,
    Gilles

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Béèm
    Having problems to have my sata HDD in a MD8818 seen, I wanted to try the latest 5.3.1 CD to see if support is added now.
    All I seem to find as official release is the DVD, which is too huge at this stage.

Through search I found an announcement of a 5.3.1 CD, but it's not clear if it is an official piec of work.
    In any case, the link to this release either give time outs or I get always a message that the max allowed users (50) is reached.

Is there another place to download this 5.3.1.CD?
    Short answer is no. Klaus has not made the CD version for 5.3.1.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast