Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 5.3 Announcement

New Announcement on knopper.net:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix53-en.html

After CeBIT, Version 5.3 will be available on the Knoppix-Mirrors for Download, mostly unchanged.

So it's time for a new topic "Knoppix 5.3" here.

Administrator Site Admin-
    OK, there's your new thread. Readers are cautioned that "will be available" does not make any statement about just when it will be available, and the implication of "mostly unchanged" is that some changes will be made.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Junior Member registered user
    Meanwhile, an unofficial 5.3.0 torrent is available.
    The Distrowatch news brief at http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080303#news
    links to a torrent on LinuxTracker for KNOPPIX_V5.3.0DVD-2008-02-12-DE.iso
    http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?pa...fe0b93ee389fbd

Senior Member registered user

Here are some screenshots

AFAIK the 5.2 release, like this one, was a c't magazine and CeBIT special. It's been a while since we had a public release - 5.1.1 came out in January, 2007.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of Knoppix 5.3. (Click the thumnails for a larger view, and watch out for the ad server cookies ImageShack likes to set.)

KDE 3 desktop

KDE 3 with compiz-fusion

KDE 4.0.1 desktop (note the "Kubuntu" logo)

GNOME and Xfce 4 desktops

Looks interesting, thanks. I'm not clear what the Kunbuntu reference in the 6th pic was, another computer on your network maybe? And what hardware were you running to get compiz-fusion working? Do you know if there is support for both Nvidia and ATI for compiz-fusion on the disc? (asked by someone who never could get Beryl to work in 5.1.x). Nice to see Virtualbox included, although I expect the nature of Knoppix kept out the proprietary parts that are still free for personal use; I'm surprised that Klaus didn't go for a purely open source virtualization tool. Now for the long wait until and if we get an official public release, you're correct there never was an official Internet release of 5.2.x, although we we led to expect one.
    ---

Senior Member registered user
    There's a Kubuntu logo visible in the bottom right-hand corner of the KDE 4 "kickoff" menu. So Klaus must have used Kubuntu's KDE 4 packages.

In order to get compiz-fusion running, I downloaded and installed the latest nvidia driver (v169.12) while running from the live DVD, and let the nvidia installer configure xorg.conf. (I tried installing an earlier version of the driver - v100.14.11 - and installation failed.) Then I used the command

compiz-manager & kde-window-decorator --replace &

from a Konsole window to start compiz-fusion. (For some reason, I couldn't find a way to use Emerald.)

Knoppix has a "switch desktop" command on the Knoppix menu (it's a link to /usr/sbin/restartx), and one of the choices is compiz-fusion. It started KDE with compiz-fusion running, but without a window decorator.

(I don't have any experience with ATI cards, except for the crappy Radeon XPress 200M chipset in my laptop, which requires XGL to run beryl or compiz.)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Looks interesting, thanks. I'm not clear what the Kunbuntu reference in the 6th pic was, another computer on your network maybe? And what hardware were you running to get compiz-fusion working? Do you know if there is support for both Nvidia and ATI for compiz-fusion on the disc? (asked by someone who never could get Beryl to work in 5.1.x). Nice to see Virtualbox included, although I expect the nature of Knoppix kept out the proprietary parts that are still free for personal use; I'm surprised that Klaus didn't go for a purely open source virtualization tool. Now for the long wait until and if we get an official public release, you're correct there never was an official Internet release of 5.2.x, although we were led to expect one.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    OK, there's your new thread. Readers are cautioned that "will be available" does not make any statement about just when it will be available, and the implication of "mostly unchanged" is that some changes will be made.
    If you prefer "completely unchanged", the CeBIT version is here:
    http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4066611/...08-edition.iso

For English as usual, lang=us ( shift-0 for = )

Thanks macs, but I prefer to wait for whatever Klaus decides id to be released to the Internet. Even, if like las year, it never gets released.
    ---

Knoppix 5.3

I downloaded knoppix 5.3 Geran version not realizing that it actually was all German version. Is there anyway I can make it into a permanent Enlish/USA one? Not just the keyboard either, I mean everything including the OS, programs and the whole distro load.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast