Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Knoppix 5.3

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: old apt won't work anymore - need new unstable version.

Quote Originally Posted by cvevans
    that fixed apt-get update, BUT now apt-get refuses to work -
    it wants to mess everything up and won't do anything:
    You have been here over 3 years and made over 50 posts. How can this surprise you? It is exactly what I would expect of Knoppix. See Answer #2 for more info.

Member registered user

Re: old apt won't work anymore - need new unstable version.

Quote Originally Posted by cvevans
    I just had apt fail completely -
    apt-get update
    you exceeded the number of versions this APT is capable of
    I had to go to debian.com and download
    apt (0.7.21)
    Source: Debian -- Details of package apt in sid
    Address : <http://packages.debian.org/sid/apt>
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool....7.21_i386.deb
    and dpkg -i apt_0.7.21_i386.deb
    before apt would work.
    temporary workaround:
    get apt_0.7.20.2+lenny1_i386.deb from packages.debian.org
    edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
    # comment out all "deb-src" lines
    apt-get update
    if you tried apt 0.7.21, now you can downgrade apt:
    dpkg -i apt_0.7.20.2+lenny1_i386.deb

Knoppix is now recognized by Dummies in a new book

It's official! Even Dummies now recognizes Knoppix and mentions it in the book "Green I.T. For Dummies" by Carol Baroudi, Jeffrey Hill, Arnold Reinjhold, and Jhana Senxian.

Mentioned in Chapter 19 e-Waste Not, e-Want Not. p 301. Topic of Making Diskless Machines Usable
    If the computer has a working optical drive, run a live CD or DVD operating system, such as Knoppix(knoppix.org). These CDs/DVDs come loaded with desktop software such as the free OpenOffice.org program, which performs the most common function of the Microsoft Office suite and can read and write to Office files. Users can keep files they create on USB thumbdrives, or on other machines such as a central server.
    And again mentioned in Chapter 22: Ten Creative Computer Recycling TIps pp330-331

Use Knoppix
    [size=12]
    If corporate security policy wonh't allow even sanitized hard drives to leave the company, surplus disk-less PCs can be made quite usable with a live CD- or DVD-based operating system, such as Knoppix (www.knoppix.org; click the U.S./U.K. flag for the English version of this site.). These Linux distributions (distros) boot directly from the computer's CD or DVD drive and include a Web browser and office applications. Files can be saved on a USB (Universial Serial Bus) thumb drive or by mailing the files as an attachment to an e-mail account at Gmail or Yahoo. (You can open such an account for free at mail.google.com or mail.yahoo.com.)

Member registered user

Re: Anybody made a CD version? Slightly different way to put

Quote Originally Posted by tikitikitimbo
    I'm also one of these people checking back every week or so to see when the CD version shows up. But I'm wondering if there is a way to make the CD version from the DVD version. Obviously there is a way to do anything since it's all FOSS but I mean a fairly simple way that was intentionally put into the DVD version for such a purpose. Earlier in this 5.3 news thread there was something about the size of files being broken down into smaller units. Is it possible that there is a CD version bundled within the DVD version that could be extracted fairly easily?

Or has anybody else remastered a CD version off of the 5.3 DVD? I noticed that Kanotix actually did have a fairly recent upgrade which was interesting because it sounded like there wasn't going to be anything else coming out of that project after one of the devs split a few years ago.

Oh yeah, and since I'm here posting on 5.3, let me pose a question to anybody who has played with it. The question is this: In the move from 5.01 to 5.11 there were bunch of changes in the locations of some important files from /usr/init.d/ to /usr/sbin. Does that remain the case in 5.3? Personally I've found FTPing into a 5.11 matching problematic. It works sometimes but not others and if I boot the same machine with 5.01 or earlier I have no problems so it seems like something is buggy about this relocation. Any input on that?
    I can't speak to most of the issues but I can mention something that happened to me. I needed a copy of the 5.3.1 DVD for another techie and I accidentally slipped in a cd instead of dvd in the burn drive. Voila! And Surprise a working CD of the 5.3.1 disk. It had most of the tools we need immediately and not some of the graphics intensive, but it worked.
    Capt. V. Cautious

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910