Thread: Knoppix 5.3.1

Knoppix 5.3.1

Will there be a CD in addition to the DVD released for Knoppix 5.3.1?

Senior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix 5.3.1

Quote Originally Posted by mpeterson
    Will there be a CD in addition to the DVD released for Knoppix 5.3.1?
    I certainly hope so, since most computers still come with CDROM drives and you must pay more in order to get a PC with a DVDROM or DVD-R drive.

Re: Knoppix 5.3.1

I'm still not seeing the CD "Lite" version out there. Pardon me while I rant and rave a little bit:

I *prefer* the CD version of Knoppix. What I have noticed about the other distros (that I used to install) was that I would download the 10 CD set (or 2 DVD set) to have the "complete" version of Linux, when all I needed was the general functionality of a distro. I have come to discover that most distros are bloated, nowadays, with way more software than anybody wants or needs.

Knoppix migrating to DVD makes me feel that it is becoming "bloatware." I have always been happy with the software that comes with the CD version. It is more than enough to meet most of my needs. Apparently, it not only meets my needs. Shawn Powers notes in a recent issue of Linux Journal (September 2008, p19) that today's young people want the following from their computers: 1) a media player 2) a browser, and 3) an office suite. That's it. Everything else is bloat.

The other reason I favor CD Knoppix over DVD Knoppix is that I have a dialup connection. I usually go down to work with a USB thumbdrive and download the CD version from there. I have plenty of 1GB and 2GB thumbdrives, but 4GB and 8GB drives are still kind of expensive.

If the powers-that-be have not put out a CD version of 5.3.1 yet (I may just be looking in the wrong place), I hope they do so soon. I am still running the 5.1 CD, and am very pleased with it.

INTENSITY