Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PXE Booting Knoppix From Windows RIS

To setup KNOPPIX to boot from RIS I did the following:
    1. Create the following folder structure on my RIS server: <drive>:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix \i386\templates (I created the Knoppix, i386, and templates folders).
    2. In the templates folder create a text file that has a .SIF extension. The file name doesn't really matter but I called mine pxelinux.sif.
    3. The pxelinux.sif file (or whatever you choose to call yours) should contain the following (you can customize the Description and Help sections to your own preference if desired):

[OSChooser]
    Description = "Boot Knoppix Live Linux Environment"
    Help = "This option boots into a live Linux environment with a full shell, internet browser, diagnostics tools, applications, etc."
    LaunchFile = "Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix\i386\templates\pxelin ux.0"
    ImageType = Flat
    Version="1.01"

4. In the <drive>:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix \i386\templates folder create another folder called "pxelinux.cfg" (including the dot).
    5. In the <drive>:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix \i386\templates\pxelinux.cfg folder create a text file called "default" (with no file extension).
    6. The troubles I am having are likely related to the following contents of my particular "default" file so the following may not necessarily be correct:

default knoppix
    prompt 0
    timeout 30
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.7:/KNOPPIX -- nodhcp lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX

7. In the <drive>:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix \i386\templates folder copy miniroot.gz, pxelinux.0, linux, and pretty much any other file from the root of the Knoppix CD, including the 700MB "KNOPPIX" file. You may have to mess around with file paths in the "default" file and pxelinux.cfg a bit as well as change locations of the files you copied to subfolders, etc. I actually have the CD contents copied into *every* folder and subfolder beneath my <drive>:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Knoppix \i386\templates folder structure for troubleshooting purposes.
    8. Restart Remote Installation Services (or Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Server for Windows Server 2003 SP2) and Trivial FTP Daemon for the changes you just made to take effect.

Please let me know if you get further than I did. I would *really* like to get this working.

yay, thanks to you I finally managed to get little further. Now Knoppix starts loading, and, well, I'm also dropped to a very limited shell

This is my default, but I tried to point knoppix to a smb-share. Do you know if it must be nfs, or if other protocols will work as well?

Code:
    default knoppix
    prompt 0
    timeout 0
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL knl/vmlinuz-knoppix-x86
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 initrd=img/initrd-knoppix-x86.gz install=smb://192.168.1.20/e$/KNOPPIX

I've given up on Knoppix because I just can't seem to get it to work. I know this is a Knoppix forum so I am certainly not endorsing other distributions or anything like that, but I was able, after much trial and error, to get Ubuntu to boot in the same manner to a live CD environment. Ubuntu has most of the tools I need (GParted, NTFS access, web browser, etc) to recover files from dead systems, image hard drives, and edit partitions. This wasn't the ideal solution for me since Knoppix has MANY more features than Ubuntu, but it works for what I need it to do. Here's how I got it working with Ubuntu:

1. On the RIS server create the following folder structure: <drive>:\<path to your RIS installation>\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\temp lates. On my server it is G:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\t emplates.
    2. Create a text file in the templates folder called pxelinux.sif. It should contain the following text (the Description and Help sections can be customized to your preference):

[OSChooser]
    Description = "Boot Ubuntu Linux"
    Help = "This option runs the Ubuntu Linux network installer/live CD environment."
    LaunchFile = "Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\templates\pxelinu x.0"
    ImageType = Flat
    Version="1.01"

3. Create a folder in the templates directory called pxelinux.cfg. The folder structure should then be <drive>:\<path to your RIS installation>\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\temp lates\pxelinux.cfg.
    4. In the pxelinux.cfg folder create a blank text file named "default" (no file extension) that contains the following (change the IP address and NFS root below according to your own setup):

DISPLAY ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/boot.txt

F1 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f1.txt
    F2 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f2.txt
    F3 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f3.txt
    F4 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f4.txt
    F5 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f5.txt
    F6 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f6.txt
    F7 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f7.txt
    F8 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f8.txt
    F9 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f9.txt
    F0 ubuntu-installer/i386/boot-screens/f10.txt

DEFAULT LiveDesktopCD

LABEL install
    kernel ubuntu-installer/i386/linux
    append vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
    LABEL virtualpc
    kernel vmlinuz
    append initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/nfs boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.7:/ubuntu noreplace-paravirt --
    LABEL LiveDesktopCD
    kernel vmlinuz
    append initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/nfs boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.7:/ubuntu --
    LABEL linux
    append vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
    LABEL cli
    append tasks=standard pkgsel/language-pack-patterns= pkgsel/install-language-support=false vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz --

LABEL expert
    append priority=low vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
    LABEL cli-expert
    append tasks=standard pkgsel/language-pack-patterns= pkgsel/install-language-support=false priority=low vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz --

LABEL rescue
    append vga=normal initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz rescue/enable=true --

PROMPT 1
    TIMEOUT 300

5. Copy the following files from the casper folder in the root of the Ubuntu CD to <drive>:\<path to your RIS installation>\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\temp lates:
    vmlinuz, initrd.gz. (Note the ~680MB file in the same folder called filesystem.squashfs. That is the actual live desktop environment in a single compressed file.)

6. Download ftp://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/in...netboot.tar.gz and extract the contents of that file to <drive>:\<path to your RIS installation>\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\temp lates. You should now have a folder called "ubuntu-installer" in the templates folder.
    7. Download http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/util...linux-3.72.zip and extract pxelinux.0 from the ZIP file. Copy pxelinux.0 to <drive>:\<path to your RIS installation>\Setup\English\Tools\Ubuntu\i386\temp lates.
    8. Create an NFS share on the Linux server and share out the contents of the Ubuntu CD. I used the following commands on my SuSE box that actually shares out the main SquashFS file for the live CD environment:

8a. Copy the Ubuntu ISO to the Linux server.
    8b. mount -o loop ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso /mnt
    8c. md ubuntu
    8d. cp -a /mnt /ubuntu
    8e. umount /mnt
    8f. Depending on your Linux distribution, share out the /ubuntu folder using NFS.

8. Restart the Trivial FTP Daemon and the Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Server services on the RIS server.
    9. Boot a PXE-enabled client and choose F12 to boot from the network.
    10. At the client installation wizard welcome screen, press Enter.
    11. Type a valid username and password on the domain and press Enter.
    12. Select Maintenance And Troubleshooting under the OS selection screen. If this option is not enabled on the RIS server, you can enable it by following the steps detailed here: http://www.tomspeirs.co.uk/stuff/Res...ionOptions.doc.
    13. Choose the new live CD environment and boot.

Wow, thanks for this great walkthrough

I had some issues setting up the NFS "emulation" under windows server 2003 (especially with the rights and stuff), but finally it works!

Thanks!

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Just out of curiosity, did you end up using Ubuntu or were you able to get Knoppix working? If you did succeed in getting Knoppix to boot via Windows RIS I would be very interested to know what was done. My whole goal in doing this is to have some kind of recovery environment I can boot into to recover dead systems, etc without having to burn a CD every time. Burned CDs tend to get lost, scratched, etc.

I'm also interested to learn how you got NFS working in Windows Server 2003 using SFU (Services For Unix). I initially tried sharing out my live CD via Windows NFS but couldn't get it to work, hence the need to use a Linux NFS server instead. I was able to see in the SFU logs where the PXE client was trying to make a connection but that was it. I'd much rather share out the live CD using SFU and NFS on my Windows server than having to rely on a separate Linux server somewhere.

At first I tried to get Knoppix working, but in my logs there was no login attempt when I tried to boot it. So I used Ubuntu.

NFS-stuff seems to be a bit complicated. I copied /etc/passwd and /etc/groups from a knoppix livecd und put them in their own folder. Then I pointed SFU in 2k3 to their location.
    Afterwards, I remapped windows' administrator account to linux' root und changed the permissions in sharing dialogue from both -2 to both 0.

And it worked. Let me know if that is enough information, I can also upload some screenshots if you do not get it working.

Hey all!

I'm also very interested in this setup and followed the steps above very gently but, I'm using a W2K3 RIS server with NFS shares and I can manage to boot up my client in RIS and lookup the Ubuntu boot in the menus but when I select this, the only thing I see is a black screen and a underscore cursor. No network traffic, just stops...

Can anyone post screenshots perhaps???

NFS-stuff seems to be a bit complicated. I copied /etc/passwd and /etc/groups from a knoppix livecd und put them in their own folder. Then I pointed SFU in 2k3 to their location.
    Afterwards, I remapped windows' administrator account to linux' root und changed the permissions in sharing dialogue from both -2 to both 0.
    hancook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12