Thread: Got wi-fi with 5.3.1 with broadcom and WEP

Junior Member registered user

Got wi-fi with 5.3.1 with broadcom and WEP

I have wifi running on my laptop, but I don't think I can repeat this. (I also did this ONCE about two years ago with a different version on the same laptop.) My problem is that I am not very proficient with system administration and analysis.

I would appreciate assistance in defining what I did, that is help in analyzing my configuration and log files. Also, advice on saving the configuration across reboots.

I will be happy to post outputs and configuration and describe the wooly path I followed. My problem is that I did many things (several utilities and command line) without carefully writing down each step as I did this, because after several failures I didn't expect to succeed.

I am keeping my laptop on for the rest of the week to allow people to reply.

Thanks and hope I can provide useful info to others struggling with the wi-fi on 5.3.1.

Steve

Administrator Site Admin-
    Steve,

As the link that I pointed you to said, I do read all of the forums, I already saw this. I had nothing helpful to say, so I didn't respond.

Please don't keep sending me technical issues through the Private Message feature. There are good valid uses for PM, but technical issues in this forum are certainly not one of those uses. I will not respond to technical questions privately. I have already explained why.

I've basically given up on wifi and Knoppix. Versions up to 4.02 were not great, but I was able to get one card to work on them. I have never gotten any card to work on any 5.x version, not even the one that worked under 4.02. Many other Linux distros, including Mandriva1 and Puppy Linux (as well as BackTrack2) support several wireless interfaces that I have, so I don't think the fault is completely mine.

It's interesting that you have been able to get a card working under Knoppix 5.x, but as far as I'm concerned life is too short for me to keep spending time on this when other distros do it so well. I think wifi support is very important for a Live CD (considering the ways in which many people use a Live CD), but the developers either don't care about the issue or are not listening to the problems that many have seen. I have neither the time or the skills to off my help to assist them, so if Knoppix doesn't do what I need it to I use something else.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Seeking help in saving configuration between reboot on 5.3.1

Harry,

Thanks for responding.

I respect your decision not to spend time on making wifi work when YOU use Knoppix.

I posted because this became a question for me of saving a configuration that was working; my title didn't present this well. I used that title because I also thought the many others posting of their inability to get wifi working would be interested in discussing how it might be made to work. The two issues (making wifi work and saving configurations between reboots) were mixed in this post.

I think the using Knoppix as a live CD is enhanced by the save configuration and save disk image tools.

I am a novice at this aspect and I read in another thread that someone found they didn't work in 5.3.1.

My main concern is how to save this successful configuration between reboots.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions.

Steve

Last post by me on this thread

I accidentally disconnected my laptop from the power adapter and let it run down, so my connection was terminated.

I decided to see if reconnecting would be possible and how hard it would be.

It turns out that it is not very different for me with this laptop than with Damn Small Linux (a derivative of an old version of Knoppix).

So, if I could run Knoppix from a hard drive (the frugal install approach rather than the full or "real" hard drive approach) with persistence of settings (including the wifi configuration), I would be delighted to do so.

I will start a new thread with this focus.

Parenthetically, one special reason I want to demonstrate that Knoppix is usable is to help my grandson who is blind try the Adriana audio desktop. This is a part of Knoppix 5.3.1.

Parenthetically #2, if other Knoppix users wish to ask me about wireless, I will be happy to say what I have done and to show any configuration info that is on my system. I wonder if most Knoppixers tho, simply don't have a problem with wifi.

Steve

Senior Member registered user

Re: Last post by me on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by stevesr0
    I accidentally disconnected my laptop from the power adapter and let it run down, so my connection was terminated.

I decided to see if reconnecting would be possible and how hard it would be.

It turns out that it is not very different for me with this laptop than with Damn Small Linux (a derivative of an old version of Knoppix).

So, if I could run Knoppix from a hard drive (the frugal install approach rather than the full or "real" hard drive approach) with persistence of settings (including the wifi configuration), I would be delighted to do so.

I will start a new thread with this focus.

Parenthetically, one special reason I want to demonstrate that Knoppix is usable is to help my grandson who is blind try the Adriana audio desktop. This is a part of Knoppix 5.3.1.

Parenthetically #2, if other Knoppix users wish to ask me about wireless, I will be happy to say what I have done and to show any configuration info that is on my system. I wonder if most Knoppixers tho, simply don't have a problem with wifi.

Steve
    Steve,

Any progress on the Knoppix 5.3.1 wireless?

I do not have knoppix 5.3.1 since I don't like to download the 4G monster iso image. However, I would like to do it a try this time. Give me a day or two so that I can download the iso image at work and make the DVD first. (I cannot download it at home since my ISP Rogers lately put a download limit on us and I have to save my bandwidth for my work)

To your last comment, I think most knoppixers avoid using wifi because knoppix really suck on supporting them.

To me, if Knoppix cannot support wifi, it has no future. However, Klaus Knopper seems to have more interest to show-off his 3D knoppix browser than making knoppix a wireless connectable system.

Rgds,
    Chip