Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba Server

Samba Server

I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix

So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.

My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.

what the deal?

Thanks

Senior Member registered user

Re: Samba Server

Quote Originally Posted by MAiN_PRoToCoL
    I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix

So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.

My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.

what the deal?

Thanks
    I believe you are using the knoppix 5.3 version. I only have 5.1.1 and I try it with your case, I use 123 as password, knoppix accepted it and ask me once again to confirm. After I re-enter it, it asks me if I want all harddisks to be read and write. I click on the OK and the program ended gracefully.

I do not have 5.3 myself so I cannot test it. Well 4+ GB download is not fun for me and I am not going to do it until they have the CD version coming up.

So anyone out there tried the knoppix 5.3 Samba server?

Rgds,
    Chip

Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1

Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1
    So any other reason you want to use version 5.3.1 instead of 5.1.1? I ask because I don't have 5.3.1.

Rgds,
    Chip

Just post a Samba example on the FAQ page, check out Q9 on the following link

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

Can you follow it and try it on version 5.3 and let me know the result.

Rgds,
    Chip

Using 5.3.1 here and had the same issue. After entering a password and verifying it, it kept prompting to create a password. I just closed the prompt after a few times and then it asked about sharing the whole HD.

Logged in from a Windows box and it worked fine.

chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.

QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????

No idea... I'm just using Knoppix to pull some files off a machine I'm about to wipe. The issue wasn't a big deal for me, but if I were using it regularly it might be. Good luck.

chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.

QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????
    Depends on what your knoppix setting is, you may want to write a bash script and store it in your storage area and automatically run it on bootup if possible.

I'm an old fashioned unix guy who always want to use command line to control the machine because I can always transform the command lines to a shell script and automate the process.

I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here

Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.

Rgds,

Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here

Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.
    Just tested my FAQ Q10 from my office and it seems working without any problem.

Rgds,
    Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast