I am pretty new to Linux & Knoppix. I am using Knoppix 5.0 live CD (don't want to install). After much difficulty, I think I figured out how to install outside programs. However, I keep having dependency issues with various programs I try to install and, based on much web searching, it doesn't look like a quick update of packages is the answer (though I tried that in Synaptic Package Manager and many failed).

So I have finally reduced it down to this: I want Truecrypt and a later version of Firefox (1.5 is installed now) w/ my extensions on it. I think I got Truecrypt 6 installed, but when I ran it, this is what I got:

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ truecrypt
truecrypt: /usr/lib/libfuse.so.2: version `FUSE_2.6' not found (required by truecrypt)
truecrypt: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by truecrypt)
I have both of those packages / files (terminology?) in package manager and they are installed, but they are slightly older versions than the ones apparently needed by Truecrypt. And I couldn't find a place to download newer versions.

I just need Truecrypt so I can access my encrypted volumes on my Windows (FAT32) hard drive. I will go to an older version of Truecrypt or a newer version of Knoppix if it will help. Or would maybe Puppy Linux be better? I know I don't like PCLinuxOS (it's not made to be live CD anyway).

Is this a lost cause? I'm not even going to play with a newer Firefox install until I find out it's possible to do. I would so much appreciate some guidance on whether I should keep trying on Truecrypt and Firefox or just forget it. Thanks so much in advance!