Ok, this is a warning, this could be long, and it is not intended to just be me ranting, I want others feedback and thoughts as well...

First of all, take a look to the left, specifically, my join date, from that date, to current, I have been running Linux. So, this "feeling" comes from a few years, and not just a "beginner's" out look, or perspective.

Here goes...

Does anyone else get the feeling that, running an alternative Operating System, that being, non-Micro$oft or a Windows OS, that we are being, what's the word I am looking for... Given the shaft? Singled out? Made to look, or be, a rebel?

To explain, this hasn't been the first time this has happened, it happens anytime I change my Internet Service Provider, or actually expect to get any information from a service's Technical Support. Sooner or later, the question comes up; What kind of Operating System do you run? XP? Vista? Windows98 SP2? Win2k? etc... and when I respond; I run Linux. The line almost goes dead, and the person responds; I am sorry, we do not support Linux. From this point on, in our communication, I am trying to keep the person on the phone, and keep them from hanging up on me. It's almost like I told them I want to contract a virus and pass it on to them.

I realize that M$ has done a lot of FUD, a lot of negative press on the lines of people getting away from their dominance of the OS market, and they want to protect their own "share" in this area, but, hey, what's with the support thing?

Case in point; I just changed my ISP from Cable to DSL, and previously, it was Dial-Up to Cable. During the "initial" cost and features discussion, the "OS" question came up. The salesman, get this, the Salesman almost hung up on me when they heard I ran Linux, and not the "normal" sheep OS. What's with this? Linux has a Web Browser, it has a better one, and more "secure" one than Windows has, and, I might add, it has been cross-ported to Windows. When it comes to a ISP, why does it matter what OS I run? Linux has mail, web browser, and a lot more "options" to use with the internet, as it's "alternative" OS counterpart does, most are cross-platform as well. So what gives?

Is it because you actually have to "know" what kind of hardware you have? Or, more likely, is it because I can't, or they can't suggest, the only "fix" is to run the Install CD that only runs on a Windows OS?

Each time I have changed my Internet Service Provider (ISP), after the hardware and wiring is installed, I have had to call the "Front Line" Tech Support for them, to get all the information that would normally "automatically" be installed if I ran their Install CD. Like the e-mail SMTP and POP3 server names, authentication requirements, and login information for the modems. The "Front Line" Tech's were dumbfounded, and constantly repeating things like "Why don't you just run the Install CD?"

Upon hearing that "I Can't" run that P.O.S. ( if you don't know what this acronym is, search Google ), the Tech is almost ready to disconnect the call, and deactivate the account. Like running Linux is worth loosing all the revenue they would get from a paying customer. In may cases, I have had to have my call "raised" to the next level of Tech Support, and the "Second Line". Explaining, yet again, to this "next level" Tech Support person what the issue is, they, not only know what I am talking about, but, chances are, they run some form of Linux Distribution (flavor) themselves.

The "Call" then becomes a lot more "friendly", and we almost have a nice conversation about why we run what we are running, what other software we like, and even, what or when we "converted" to a Linux alternative of the "norm". The Technician "knows" what web browsers are used on Linux, and how to get around in them to change the settings. They "know" the different mail programs in Linux, and where to change all the settings to get mail working. What gives?

Am I looking for a conspiracy here? Or is this just an extreme bias towards running something that the normal "sheep" are running?

I started running Linux back in 2003, and when I started running it, I knew, possibly in twenty years, everyone was going to be running some form of Linux. May be, Micro$oft has seen this same vision, and is trying to make it not happen? I realize that running any flavor of Linux is a little harder than running what is being provided by the producers of Windows, but, like I always said; I run what works, what is more secure, and doesn't reflect how much money you can spend on just an Operating System, let alone what software you want to buy. Quality of the product over Cost.

I also realize that, upon hearing from anyone I talk to about what OS they are running, that, if they run any form of Windows, they don't have a clue what hardware they have on their own system. It's almost a joke; How much RAM do you have? I don't know, a lot... What kind of processor, or how fast is it? Hmm, it's a new one, a fast one too... It even goes down to simple things as well, like what size monitor do you have? It's big! In many cases, I am trying really hard not to break out in laughter on them. Same situation, but the person runs some form of Linux Operating System... Well, let's just say, have you ever heard the joke about when two "Geeks" or "Nerds" get together? We are "almost" trying to "out do" each other on who has the better, newer, faster, system. To give you a small example; Well, I have an AMD 3000+ 64bit, 1.8 GHz processor, running idle at 1.0 GHz, up-shifted it gets the 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM... Oh, I like running Intel, I have the Quad Core version, running at an idle of 2.0 GHz each, and when I fire up "xxx" it gets me around 6.5 GHz, and only increases my internal temperature of the cores around 10 Degrees.

As you might guess, these two people are completely alone in a group of people. They have completely isolated themselves as "Techies", and unless anyone else in the room has a clue what they are talking about, no one is ever going to come near them. I find this a constant when it comes to someone who runs Windows, and someone who runs some flavor of Linux (generally speaking). Most of the people I meet who run any version of Windows, tend to be the kind of people who bought their computer from a "Store", and they just bought what they could afford. When it comes to people who run any form of Linux, they bought what they wanted, knew what they wanted, and wanted it for a certain price. (like they did shopping around and cost comparisons). In other words, someone that was "in the know".

Before I get "flamed" for this, I am making a generalized statement here. I've run Windows, lots of them, over the years... but, I never became more intimate with my computer, or its internal workings, till I "converted" to Linux. I have "never" bought a computer at a Department Store, in most cases, my purchases have been made at local, Ma & Pa run, Stores, found in "strip malls", and from the look of the store, inside and out, barely making enough money to keep the doors open. I know my way around the aisles, what certain pieces of hardware look like, and what the prices are. My usual "first contact" conversation with a Store Owner is, lets say, highly technical, and in most cases, the person has either held their own, or exceeded my expectations of experience. The ones that can do that, get almost always, frequently visited, and I might add, many, many, purchases. This has been something I have always done, through all the years I've been "in" computers, which has been around the lines of some 35 plus years now. Only since converting to Linux, have I realized that, most of these kinds of people, tended to be running something other than Windows.

[rant off]

So? Anyone else? Thoughts, feelings, opinions? Feedback even? Stories of your experiences, past or current? Agree or disagree? All are welcome... I know I can't be the only one with this feeling, or treatment... I'd like to hear them, please share here...

Thanks,
LC (aka LadyCuddles / AcidPirate)