Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Knoppix 6.0

Junior Member registered user

Some considerations.

Hi! I was introduced effectively to Linux through ubuntu, since I had to install it in the pc at home and the owner was careless/naive enough to completely ruin the Window$ OEM install (no problem...it was an useless 'Starter Edition' one). So, as many people nowadays, I wasn't forced to learn bash to be able to have a more than usable o.s.. I've tried several distros (I even put an old hd in the pc in which I installed AntixM-8 for me to use) and in the process also downloaded Knoppix 6.0 when it was launched. My image of Knoppix up to then (of hearing about) was that it was a basic distro much used as a recovery tool. Now that I read these testimonies I figure out that maybe although it was rather for the technically savvy, it also was a fairly embracing package. But it's quite clear that some people were not viewing this release by it's own merits.
    Of all the distros I tried, this is certainly the most impressive live-cd. I have no 'technical' arguments for that but: the A.D.R.I.A.N.E. is worth praising, it boots in graphical mode in no-time, its LXDE is beautiful, snappy and integrated and it has a sleek but 'high-profile' software selection. It's a pity I've got no thumbdrive, but as soon as I get one Knoppix6 would be my portable o.s. option (specially if the 'persistent' option works well).
    It's quite unique too the way this forum work, or don't work, since most questions are completely ignored.
    I managed to skip the 'adriane' option by choosing #9 'shell' and typing 'startx'.
    Also, we have ADSL PPPoE connection here and it was a no-brainer to connect at first but recently I routed my modem and Knoppix' auto-DHCP just doesn't work. Al other distros I tried work fine but, if anybody 's interested, I think it has something to do with Knoppix' user and super-user handling. In Antix (also Debian Lenny based) auto-DHCP connects fine but after the 'slim' login screen it somehow loses the connection and regains again the first time any operation as 'root' is performed. Has anyone had a similar issue with auto-DHCP not connecting (the network tool in 'System Tools', when run, states something like 'there was no DHCP response/answer')? I see that it seems an update was released...maybe this was fixed.
    Knoppix is special!

Member registered user
    Knoppix 6...sucks! Where are all the tools? How does one turn off this compiz junk? And how to get to a UK keyboard with international/dead keys? Just silly problems from the first five minutes of testing.

This 6.0.1 has been great for me. I needed to get the the wl.ko driver and build it, but with the that driver and dual monitor LXrandr and xrandr I have a USB-boot drive that supports all dell BRCM wireless and multiple monitors. A minimum requirement for me.

I still use my 5.3.1 DVD iso (on my hd via grub/visita dual boot) for booting and resizing my knoppix-data.img file to larger sizes.

I am very happy with the fast-boots, ubuntu compatibility (new /etc/apt/sources.list) (no need to suspend or hibernate now on usb).

I have ice-dove using hotwayd and hotsmtpd to get send my hotmail accts and gmail (by default) also.

Kudos to to the 6.0.1 changes.

When newer version > 6.0 release

It has been so long that newer version of knoppix not arrived.
    Hope for built-in support for wine and all webcam drivers.
    When will newer version of knoppix release?

Klaus has suggested that those who need new a new version now should investigate Ubuntu and its derivatives.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by knopnet
    Klaus has suggested that those who need new a new version now should investigate Ubuntu and its derivatives.
    Klaus must be running Ubuntu on state of the art equipment. I have been disappointed with every version of Ubuntu that came my way. Very slow. Same for Xubuntu. Windows XP boots about twice as fast on my old Dell Latitude CPi than Ubuntu live or HDD install. Thats saying a lot as I am no fan of MS.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalMail
    Knoppix 6...sucks! Where are all the tools? How does one turn off this compiz junk? And how to get to a UK keyboard with international/dead keys? Just silly problems from the first five minutes of testing.
    I know Kubuntu offers it but you had better think twice before getting anything with dead keys.
    There is way to many language specific rules for that stuff that cause a nightmare of different adaptions from hundres of programmers from at least dozens of countries and if you think for one second that thats not going to cause problems then go try Kubuntu, just hope your not a programmer cause that stuff is full of bugs that mess with your code.

DEAD KEYS can't be turned off!!

The future of Knoppix

Ubuntu is not an option. Klaus is too busy with work and family to devote all his time to Knoppix. Perhaps now is the time to loosen the reighns on Knoppix and allow others to take on some of the work. Knoppix is just too darned good to let it wither on the vine.

Re: The future of Knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by Machstem
    Ubuntu is not an option. Klaus is too busy with work and family to devote all his time to Knoppix. Perhaps now is the time to loosen the reighns on Knoppix and allow others to take on some of the work. Knoppix is just too darned good to let it wither on the vine.
    I soooo agree with you on that! I'm writing this on a Kubuntu Live CD - it's better than Ubuntu, but not as good as Mint-ubuntu, and for some reason, I like Knoppix even better than Mint. As a beginner in Linux, I'm forced to boot into windows much more often than I want to, because webcam support seems to have been pushed aside. Yet, just as the telephone replaced the messenger (the one on foot I mean, not on your screen), there are more and more of us using webcams in our daily conversations... it's no longer for the few, but now used in many homes for keeping in touch with family, friends, and for telecommuting/teleconferencing.

Collaborative work may definitely be the solution to some components important to others. (unless Klaus plans to concentrate on a distribution for the vision impaired only, down the road - if it is the case, we should be told of that, as a distro's future roadmap is part of the decision as to whether we adopt a certain distro)

Member registered user

knoppix 6.2 - black screen 6.2.1 is out

I tried 6.2

knoppix lang=us and then it just went to a black screen on my old toshiba portege laptop. I only waited about a minute but I felt that was too long for anything to come up so I thought it didn't work.

How long do I need to wait before I get a menu screen to pop up?

in the meantime i see knoppix 6.2.1 is out so i'll be trying that out soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234