Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire

Acer Aspire

well I bought this new acer aspire laptop brand new it came with the preinstalled wvista and I want to install knoppix dvd, but when I booted it it says error file system and bla bla, also the booting is really slow.

I tried disabling the bios Sata option and no luck!

any help? I want to install either knoppix to the hard drive or make a partition?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Acer Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by keeper
    well I bought this new acer aspire laptop brand new it came with the preinstalled wvista and I want to install knoppix dvd, but when I booted it it says error file system and bla bla, also the booting is really slow.

I tried disabling the bios Sata option and no luck!

any help? I want to install either knoppix to the hard drive or make a partition?
    If you want to install Linux, install a version suitable for hard disk install, not Knoppix. Knoppix is a great Live CD/DVD but not really suitable for hard disk install.

If you can't boot a Knoppix CD or DVD it is usually because it is improperly made, either a bad download (determined by checking the md5 checksum) or a bad burn (usually the case with burns done at high speed). In some cases (if a bad burn can be ruled out) then you may need a cheat code to get past hardware detection problems. There is a section in the wiki on cheat codes if you need it, but I really expect the former problem.

bla bla is not a good error message, and it makes it more difficult for others to help you when you report bla bla as the problem.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

the problem is this one..............can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. dropping you to a (very limited) shell. press reset buttom to quit.

and how can I find or where I can find a knoppix verision suitable for hard drives ?

also I did a slow burn of the ISO 4x and I still get the problem!

the problem is this one..............can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. dropping you to a (very limited) shell. press reset buttom to quit.
    Very very typical of a bad high speed burn, as is your report of very slow booting. There is also said to sometimes be a BIOS setting for "legacy" mode for the SATA drive, but that will not fix a bad high speed burn.

and how can I find or where I can find a knoppix version suitable for hard drives ?
    There is no version of Knoppix suitable for hard disk install (although a few experts do get away somewhat with doing it). There are many versions of Linux suitable for hard disk install. The Website Distrowatch will point you towards plenty. I use and recommend the "testing" version of Debian, the same Linux Distro that Knoppix is based on, and as long as you have high speed Internet access I suggest doing a net-install" of Debian testing. Select the "desktop" option during the install to get a GUI all configured for you. And as long as you have the Vista install disk or a backup made, I would suggest getting Vista completely off there, it is not clean or easy to resize a Vista partition for installing Linux, and Vista is just too much of a pain for most people to run anyway.

so basically u telling me that knoppix cannot be install? so then why this distro is made for just for the sake of live cd usage! omg!

By all mean, go right ahead, you have my blessing.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Very very typical of a bad high speed burn, as is your report of very slow booting. There is also said to sometimes be a BIOS setting for "legacy" mode for the SATA drive, but that will not fix a bad high speed burn.

and how can I find or where I can find a knoppix version suitable for hard drives ?
    There is no version of Knoppix suitable for hard disk install (although a few experts do get away somewhat with doing it). There are many versions of Linux suitable for hard disk install. The Website Distrowatch will point you towards plenty. I use and recommend the "testing" version of Debian, the same Linux Distro that Knoppix is based on, and as long as you have high speed Internet access I suggest doing a net-install" of Debian testing. Select the "desktop" option during the install to get a GUI all configured for you. And as long as you have the Vista install disk or a backup made, I would suggest getting Vista completely off there, it is not clean or easy to resize a Vista partition for installing Linux, and Vista is just too much of a pain for most people to run anyway.
    I wish to disagree with you on this . We have may be thousands of systems installed with knoppix ( 3.9 and 5.1) working wonderfully. Ofcourse we have done some tweaking and have included number of scripts doing some initial configuration tasks specific to the project but still it is KNOPPIX ........

Quote Originally Posted by nalini
    I wish to disagree with you on this . ......
    I guess you disagree with Klaus too, who has advised against installing it for normal use, and even referred to the install script as something that works "occasionally". I wonder how you deal with the mixed version problem, that causes problems when updating or installing anything else.

There are many posts on this subject, some from people who think this is workabe, many who think it is not, and some who are just angry without understanding the issues. I suggest that you and keeper read this post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87187#87187

But in reality I've given up on convincing him of anything and I have no desire to debate this with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by nalini
    I wish to disagree with you on this . ......
    I guess you disagree with Klaus too, who has advised against installing it for normal use, and even referred to the install script as something that works "occasionally". I wonder how you deal with the mixed version problem, that causes problems when updating or installing anything else.

There are many posts on this subject, some from people who think this is workabe, many who think it is not, and some who are just angry without understanding the issues. I suggest that you and keeper read this post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87187#87187

But in reality I've given up on convincing him of anything and I have no desire to debate this with you.
    No debate I was just stating my experience and I usually do not need to update or install add-ons at the user site. That is done at a central location by people who can resolve such issues.

HD Install 'HA' Can't Even Boot

I, like Keeper earlier, are maybe just spoiled using that evil Micrsoft. Now I have been using Linux for approx. six weeks. However, before you gahauf, I think Keeper and I are looking with fresh eyes at an old subject. Is asking for a Live CD to boot without 100 cheat codes that may or may not work such a stretch? And all Keeper wanted to do was load it on his hard drive cause he liked it and thought it was cool..but he can't load it on his hard drive and I can't even get a boot, with the same problem that has been on the web pages since at least 2005 "Can't find file system"...this from a Linux Version that prides itself on being Live and using it anywhere? I don't think so..So far I have tried, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mandriva, Slackware (got that on a pen drive), Fedora and the one version that is suppose to be live can't even boot..come on guys..No I don't like paying Microsoft $100 everytime I need something but at least when I do want something it works. I guess I just don't understand the mentality of not caring if something works.
    Ok I'm done, feel better. I just tried 43 cheat codes, still don't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast