Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knoppix 6.0.1 Adrianne free

Junior Member registered user
    Hello

When can we expect the DVD version of the latest release (6.1)- officially? Or should I get the 5.3.1 version for now?

Could some one please clarify and help me out?

Re: If you just can't wait...

Just out of curiosity - why split the file? To send as e-mail?
    Maybe the torrent's author also meant to post it to a binary Usenet newsgroup, or maybe they downloaded it from Usenet in the first place. Who knows. Multi-volume archives make sense on Usenet, but they don't when using bittorrent.[/quote]

we're used to see those multifiles rar archives on torrent websites, warez sites, newsgroups, etc

if you get a corrupt file downloading something, it's a blessing (especially for volume limited adsl or cable internet connections as in my european country) not to have to download once more a 2GB file, but just 50MB for example
    or you begin to download on rap.dshare, you get the first 50 parts, but the next is a dead link (then just google or ask someone to get the missing part)

Re: Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD

Quote Originally Posted by cvevans
    Workaround:
    Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
    I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.

... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)

on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
    no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)

Member registered user

Re: Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD

Quote Originally Posted by oliwek
    Quote Originally Posted by cvevans
    Workaround:
    Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
    I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.
    ... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)

on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
    no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)
    That _is_ a puzzle. I have noticed in the past that if the system is writing to a slow-writing flash drive (90%+ are), reads to any HD got 10x slower than usual. Have you tried the boot from a flash drive with no saved image? Just a guess.

In my case the USB ports are all powered. The crash has happened with both motherboard ports and ports on an addon card. The ports have plenty of power to run an external HD, so running a flash drive is not a problem. I have 2 external HD's that run on USB power only that have never crashed on the very ports in question.

My problem is on good USB ports that can run a stress test for a week powering an external HD, but regularly crash a good flash drive on port 1 when a good flash drive is inserted into port 2. I have seen this problem on P2, P4, and Xeon systems; it is not rare.

Member registered user

Re: good surprise on 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by maxIT
    <snip>
    The boot_option_prompt at start remains very few seconds, and without being the 'faster of the west' to load keyboard layout at boot, the 'loadkeys' command seems don't work via terminal. The thing most similar to 'kcontrol' look to be 'Configuration Editor' which lack a keyboard layout option.
    I use xmodmap to load my keyboard layout.
    You can use xkeycaps to make keyboard layout files for xmodmap.

Junior Member registered user
    Been playing around will this release and had no probs booting from cd.

Used the System Tools\Terminal Server to make a miniroot.gz etc. It does work but I see these error messages first:
    Code:
    insmod can't open '-f' : no such file or directry
    insmod can't open '-f' : no such file or directry
    insmod can't open '/modules/net/af_packet.*of' : no such file or directry
    Works fine from nfs share on my test PC's .... except bcm4401.
    Really fast from network, very impressive.

One major niggle for me, is that Terminal Server version only, fails with my PC fitted with Broadcom bcm4401 nic.
    Noticed this on V5.3.1 but OK with V5.1.1.
    Just get the same info as above plus:
    Code:
    Probing network device(s) handled by znet.ko.sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    ..and then it halts.
    I should point out that the probing code goes through all the network drivers, can see it scrolling through, it's just that znet is the last! I made a miniroot with ALL the drivers ticked at this stage.
    Looked into this as best I could and found that b44.ko depends on mii & ssb, modinfo b44

Opened miniroot manually, b44 is definitely present. Can't find my notes but 0ssb.ko (or similarly named) is present & pretty sure 0mii.ko as well.
    From a PC with an Intel nic and thus able to pxe boot, found that a mii directory exist but no mention of ssb.
    I guess most of this is generated dynamically depending on hardware found.

Any ideas how to get this card to pxe, works fine from CD.

Regards,

Steve

Member registered user
    Good Day Folks,
    I have copies of both the 6.0.1 w/ & w/o Adriane. I very near tossed both after trying the 6.0.1 and finding that half the programs simply would not run. Programs I was used to were AWOL and that really surprised me. Neither is a "Swiss Army Knife". They almost look like the developers were trying to emulate winblow$ XP GUI'ish. The rapid rabbit start-up that makes it nearly impossible to do cheat-codes, not nice. I must admit though it booted fairly quickly. I don't know about LADE as a desktop. I still think I prefer KDE 3.0 I haven't finished messing with 4.0 though it isn't fairing well so far...
    I did however, have a very good experience at a hotel In The St. Louis area where there for CME. The point is further down the line so if you will just bear with me..
    The hotel was a fairly nice place with Wi-Fi in the room, "High Speed Internet" ,and absolutely NO way to plug in Cat 5e for an ethernet card. Ttheir tower was so bad that, while I got the signal, it wasn't strong enough to get me to the login page. After several tries I took my brand new HP v125 flash drive and headed for the hotel's business office. So far, So Good, then the first surprise, when I plugged in my FD to the windows kiosk version it crashed the system. It would not reboot while the FD was in. A couple tries layer I grabbed my Knoppix disk the 6.0.1 (I'd left the 5.3.1 at home) and went to the front desk. I got lucky in that the young man on duty was Knoppix familiar and runs a Debian system. So no problem getting permission to reset the bios boot order. Remember now, this is a wireless set up and I have always had problems getting wireless to work on any version of Knoppix.
    I loaded the disk and it booted up quickly and though it took me a minute or two0 to figure out how to use it the connection pop up balloon showed I was connected. No muss, No Fuss! In fifteen minutes I was done and the data I needed on a different FD I knew to be good. I hope this functionality remains if a DVD ever becomes existent.
    In Service & In Health,
    Captain V. Cautious ,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123