Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Access HDA1

Bad Partition

use the mount command and the read-only option...
    I saw the read-only option; but would that allow me to see what's on the partition? For some reason the way they worded it made it sound like it wouldn't actually do anything, and therefore wouldn't let me see the data.

Gpart or testdisk may help you recover in that case...
    Can I use the gpart or testdisk without the drive being mounted?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Bad Partition

Quote Originally Posted by rahmuss
    I saw the read-only option; but would that allow me to see what's on the partition? For some reason the way they worded it made it sound like it wouldn't actually do anything, and therefore wouldn't let me see the data.
    Sure. The command is used to mount a partition. Read only is the default that Knoppix uses to avoid doing any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by rahmuss
    Can I use the gpart or testdisk without the drive being mounted?
    These commands operate on the drive, not the partition. Gpart in particular (the one that I suggest although it takes a bit more reading of the man page) is intended to guess a partition table when it has been lost by examining the entire disk structure. Mount generally mounts a partition, and you certainly don't need to have the partition mounted before you try to reconstruct the partition table. There would be no point in these commands if you needed to have a partition already mounted, and I would not have suggested them if that were somehow the case.

As usual I went ahead like a blunderbus and did lots of things I had no idea what I was doing.
    Anyway I had a problem accessing the internal drive on my laptop and was getting the same error as the OP:

Unable to mount device
    Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure

So tried to mount it various ways and then used the command:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o force

which worked fine.

Step 2:

Tried to get the USB hard drive to be recognised so I could copy the data off the drive, so again:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /media/sdb -o force

which worked. Copied all the information off the internal drive and then put the usb drive into my windows machine (didnt dismount). When added it recognises a usb mass storage device but doesnt appear in my computer. Also I tried remounting it in knoppix but I get the error 'NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults......'

any ideas?

unable to mount hard drive

I too get the error

Unable to mount device
    Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure

but only after installing to usb flash drive. I've tried it 3 times with the same result. When I first boot from the flash drive I can access local hard drive partitions be they fat32, ntfs or ext3 and copy information into my newly created persistant storage space (the knoppix data file). When I reboot I can't. At first I thought since I had installed some software with the synaptic package manager that I had broken something. But it happens even if I just reboot and do nothing except move some files.

Using the pen drive in the machine I installed it with I can access the local hard drive. It is on another machine I can't. suppose rebuilding fstab will work.

Any ideas?? cheers

Senior Member registered user
    edzillion;
    if you remove a USB disk without unmountuing it it will likely be DEAD as filesystems go, the unmountin makes a final write of all data and a brief "sanity" check among other things before powering the drive down.
    if you just remove the disk both Linux and windows will see a bad drive.

Leon J;
    as far as it not working in some machines, sadly some motherboards are not 100% compliant to "standards" and may have problems booing from USB also some motherboards do not even have that capabilliy.
    as for rebuilding fstab, it may work, but depends on HOW you installed knoppix, as a bootable knoppix or a HDD install, the HDD install is likely in need of pruning of several files in /etc/fstab to boot on another machine correctly

thanks for that.

Would rebuilding fstab work for me? I presume that rebuilds the partition table etc. I booted from a knoppix live cd. Is there a tute out there showing how to do this?

ed

usb install problem mounting hard drive partitions

Quote Originally Posted by mbagni
    Hi all,

I have investigated the problem. The /etc/fstab file is dynamically built at every reboot (NOT ALWAYS SEE LATER) by the script /usr/sbin/rebuildfstab which takes care to popilate the directory /media with the proper mount points (es. /media/sda1, /media/sda2, /media/hdc1 etc.).

It is the failure in populating this directory the source of your (and mine) problem. I have tried to launch the script after bootstrap in a root terminal but the script checks the current filesystems (from /proc/partitions) against the current /etc/fstab (which has been correctly populated) and refuses to re-create the mount points in /media.

I am still working on the problem since it seems that there is another task that takes care to CLEAN the /media directory at every reboot so my temptative to call rebuildfstab in my /etc/rc.local has not solved the problem since, although I am sure that the call has regenerated the content of the directory /media, there is the second cleaning task that has deleted the newly created mount points just after their creation.

I am still investigating to find out what is this son-of-a-program that cleans that directory in order to address the problem properly.

If there is someone of the KNOPPIX Team that would kindly help us he/she is welcome.

In my case the problem shows up in the version booting from an USB ket with a persistent user disk (knoppix-data.img).

Cheers
    @OErjan. Many thanks for coming back to me with some help. I apologise for not providing more information. My only excuse is lack of time. But if I cannot take the time to describe the situation how can I expect help!? I am quoting mbagni above since he/she seems to be experiencing the same difficulty which I am having.

Background: I am a seasoned Puppy Linux user and have been running my machines from a flash drive with puppy very successfully. Why am I here? Discovered the 6.0.1 version of Knoppix last week and I am very impressed with its simplicity, speed and the overall look of the operating system. I don't wish to install it onto a hard drive but it seems ideal as a portable system to run from a usb flash memory stick.

I like the puppy frugal install very much and am keen to use knoppix and find out more about the way it uses a persistant user disk (knoppix-data.img) since this seems very similar to the Pup_save squashed file system created by puppy.

Puppy has the pmount program which, if I run it, has always correctly found the partitions on whatever machine I happen to be on and then allowed me to click on mount to mount them.

Knoppix on a USB stick seems to find the partitions correctly on different machines but is not able to mount them. Going back to the machine I used to set up the usb stick on the info for the mount points was still there. And I could mount them ok. But booting up on another machine is fine except the partitions on the hard drive cannot be mounted - directory doesn't exist ... error...

Otherwise knoppix on USB is working really well. Auto detection of hard ware while not perfect is very good. THe 3d effects are impressive and it is a delight to use. So hopefully someone is able to give me some help on how to get knoppix to find and use the mount points correctly?

I did notice that this is a beta version.....hope it works ok in the next. By the way - I don't get any desktop icons for the hard drive partitions when I run from a CD or from USB,

Happy to provide more info if necessary and do any testing required. I have 4 pentium 4 machines capable of booting from USB and am currently experimenting with two 4 gig Corsair flash drives. The machines are desktops with 1 or 2 gig of RAM.

Thanks for the help. I am looking forwarding to using knoppix more in this new version.

SOLVED

Well, found a solution to my usb install not recognising the partitions on my hard drives. I have deleted the persistant storage file! All partitions are accessable. Sound works again too!

Junior Member registered user

problem mount the hard drive (knoppix-data.img)

for problem mount the hard drive / version booting from an USB (knoppix-data.img) knoppix 6.0.1

I suggest you make a patch

1 Create a new file and put the name patch.sh in /home/knoppix/patch.sh
    2 Paste the following script in the file:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo mkdir /media/sda1
    sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x
    3 Save and Close the file
    4 Give the file execution permission (secondary button, properties)
    5 for lxde: create the autostart folder in /home/knoppix/.config/
    for kde: /home/Knoppix/.kde/autostart
    6 Paste patch.sh in /home/knoppix/.config/autostart
    7 to test the patch: open a console and type ./patch.sh

greetings

Quote Originally Posted by mbagni
    The /etc/fstab file is dynamically built at every reboot (NOT ALWAYS SEE LATER) by the script /usr/sbin/rebuildfstab which takes care to popilate the directory /media with the proper mount points (es. /media/sda1, /media/sda2, /media/hdc1 etc.).

It is the failure in populating this directory the source of your (and mine) problem. I have tried to launch the script after bootstrap in a root terminal but the script checks the current filesystems (from /proc/partitions) against the current /etc/fstab (which has been correctly populated) and refuses to re-create the mount points in /media.
    I have found out that the script will only work when using the parameters -f[orce] -v[erbose] -r[emove_old].
    -v is not really necessary but I like to see the scrip do something.
    This still leaves the question why doesn't it work during boot?

Markus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast