Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to start samba server in knoppix 6?

how to start samba server in knoppix 6?

It seem that knoppix 6.1 have samba installed in the cd, but I can't find samba in /etc/init.d/samba start

what is happening? how do I start samba in this 6.1 distribution CD?

even I installed knoppix in to Hard disk, I also can't find ways to start the samba server.

Junior Member registered user

Is the client even in there? And no wine either?

Hate to be a whiner, but no wine?

And to add to this question about the samba server, there doesn't seem to be a client either.
    smbmount is missing and
    mount -t smbfs comes up with

mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

So is the idea that you should do a thumb drive install and then install wine and samba through synaptic?

If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to leave these basic system tools in and leave out all the office stuff for the synaptic thumb drive install?

Hmm, the plot thickens.

No ftp either?

And when I try to shift paste in Midnight Commander, I get nothing.

First I thought it was the keybindings in LXterminal which clearly conflict with some MC commands like F10 for exit which LXTerminal wants to use as a shortcut to the File menu. But I tried it in rxvt and I still can't shift paste into MC.

The inclusion of MC was one of the few bright spots I was seeing that made me think 6.01 was more than DSL-N with OpenOffice and Synaptic. I mean I love the fact that I can finally get Iceweasel 3.0 on a LiveCD, but it's hard to see much more to love without any basic networking utils and a broken MC.

Hope I'm missing something here, any enlightenment? Or is it all about the flash drive install?

Update on the MC paste problem.

I want to come up with good things to say about 6.01 so I've kept it going on a machine for the last week and played with it and after rebooting I found that my paste problem in RXVT was cured by a reboot. I still can't paste in LXTerminal and that F10 keybinding issue is uncool. However, I tried MC in Xterm and I was able to paste and then it worked in RXVT so perhaps that was a temporary local problem.

I'm going to post some of the things that I like about 6.01 in the 6.01 section of the news forum since I don't know where else to put them and that forum is becoming a dumping ground for bugs so it seems like a good place to say some things on the bright side.

Re: how to start samba server in knoppix 6?

Hi.

If You are still interested, it is easy (was not for me, but you don't need to spent so much time to get it working like me anymore).

First, it is another way to think how to run "software" in this release of knoppix. If the software has no icon, you can start it by typing his name in terminal window - for example PCMan File Manager - this should be second quick-launch icon in your tray. This is good example, because the "tooltipname" is different from real program name. Also you should type in terminal (console) window "pcmanfm". And if you type befor it a "su" command for super-user, then You can see a warning in the program, that you are in super user mode. Good to know, if you wish to make some strange file operations - for example setting permissions for directorys, and so one...

Nothing is installed (except few programs). So you need to install what you need. We need it later for GUI software...

But, samba is installed. Also:

run terminal and type

su

(best to be allways SuperUser) and then type

/etc/init.d/samba start

(stop, status, etc...), but be carefull to have good "smb.conf" file... You also do not need to be in that directory "init.d", try it so like it is wroted - full path with command samba start.

I prefer that you make it same way like me (it works for me, should also work for you).
    First run from System Tools - Synaptic Package Manager, press CTRL+R to refresh latest packages, and search for "gadmin-samba". Right-click and mark it for installation. After that click "apply" button - on button bar. It downloads all needed packages and installs GUI for Samba Configuration and Administration. It also installs ICON in System Tools, so you can easy run it like other software. Perfect for now...

If you run it, let the program create new samba configuration file. I think, it is the best, what You can do, because of new parameters in new samba. The program backs-up your original config file, but allways back it up by yourself to some new directory for better remember where is it.

Now, you can set-up what you need, and best of them is, that on the last "TAB" you have the option to fine-configure the config file manually. Or you can add at the end shares from your old file (copy/paste method).

For example, i changed here the security method to share, because in normal settings you can do this NOT - it is not included in the drop-down menu on first TAB - "Security Level".

And last, you can start and stop samba right from here - Activate or Deactivate button.

What i cannot do at this time is to let samba start automatically at startup in this version of knoppix. Normal steps to add it to rcX.d autorun folders doesn't works, i tryed few utilitys more which handles startup processes, but no luck. If you have a tip, please send it to me back. Thank you.

P.S. Best of them is, that I run it on Windows host under VirtualBox software (virtualbox.org) - it is super fast, and i can make normal working linux pc (virtual - of course) and access the shared samba folders inside of my notebook. Perfect for tuning befor i put it on real hardware. And why knoppix ? In time of use of few years(3,4,5? don't remember anymore) (version 4.0.2 i think) like "file server" it doesn't hung up or stopped respond, and it run on old hardware and recognizes also new 300GB disks even if the BIOS doesn't did that... Perfect. And you don't need to worry about stupid windows limitation of maximum of 16 concurent connections...

Regards, Robert.

I am having the same problem. On the live CD samba server is NOT installed even though the configuration file for it exists.
    I have been unable to get it to install and run at all.

Read article from Me... SAMBA "IS" on the system... Really... It was hard to Me to get it working, but if You follow My instructions, You will be happy with Your SAMBA... But, don't forget to "play" with the config file... Sometimes it is very useful to make some modifications by Yourself, and see what happens...

If You do something Yourself, You never forget it. That is true.

thats not the whole truth ..

cct3000 was correct with his statement ..
    Samba was not (correctly) installed ..

I've downloaded the Knoppix 6.2.1 DVD Image ...
    and .. what i should see with samba-Installation was this ->

$: dpkg -l |grep -i samba

ii libwbclient0 2:3.4.5~dfsg-1 Samba winbind client library
    iU samba 2:3.4.7~dfsg-2 SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
    ii samba-common 2:3.4.5~dfsg-1 common files used by both the Samba server and cl
    ii samba-common-bin 2:3.4.5~dfsg-1 common files used by both the Samba server and cl
    ii smbfs 2:3.4.5~dfsg-1 Samba file system utilities
    ii winbind 2:3.4.5~dfsg-1 Samba nameservice integration server

besides: the Startscript /etc/init.d/samba WAS missed (before) ..
    and "smbd --version" brought an error ..

samba was not correctly installed .. // leading "iU" i think comes with an previous attempt
    from me ..( i've done "apt-get install samba" ..)
    but: with NO success because of this circumstance ->

as i looked at ftp.debian.org i got the information, that samba 3.4.5~dfsg is not longer listed ..
    instead of this there was version 3.4.7~dfsg-2 ..

what i've done to get a clear situation ..
    $: apt-get update # thats oblique to have correct archive-descriptions
    $: apt-get -f install # fixes the problem !

after this .. the problem was solved ..
    and i could configure samba (i took the configuration file from an
    previous smb v3.2.5 and got success with this )

good Luck .. hope's this would help THIS Person's ..
    who really have NO /etc/init.d/samba # (-> the startscript! )

greetings, fred

Member registered user

Knoppix 6.3 doesn't seem to have samba

Hi there,

Is is me or is the Knoppix 6.3 DVD from LinuxMagazine missing samba installation?

I looked really hard for it, but it seems to be missing.

I see from Synaptic Package Manager that samba-common and samba-common-bin are installed but I don't think the full samba is present.

Don

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by don999 View Post
    Hi there,

Is is me or is the Knoppix 6.3 DVD from LinuxMagazine missing samba installation?

I looked really hard for it, but it seems to be missing.

I see from Synaptic Package Manager that samba-common and samba-common-bin are installed but I don't think the full samba is present.

Don
    I believe I'm seeing the same thing with Knoppix 6.2; not quite sure why, but as you pointed out in passing, it can be added with relative ease (for those with the skills to configure it, anyway.)

Cheers!
    Krishna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast