Thread: booting knoppix 6.1 adriane

booting knoppix 6.1 adriane

I've just burnt my knoppix 6.1 adriane cd live loaded in my laptop boots up and stops to the comand line "[cr-dos] a :\>".
    What should I type next? I can't hardly wait to run it in my system.
    I've tried Knoppix 4 it was fabulous they say this is a kill.
    Please, help.
    Everything besides that seems to boot normal, I'd say since from my experience with version 4.

Administrator Site Admin-
    You should follow the documentation link at the top of this page to get to the wiki and read all of the downloading faq to learn how to burn an ISO file properly and to get information on several other things that you should know before doing the burn.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

thanks for the tip

Are you suggesting to something went wrong with the burning, data lost or corrupted files perhaps?
    What I was expecting was a smooth boot up just like Knoppix 4 instead of typing commands, what it's annoying
    is the fact of not knowing What to type.
    About the Documentation like I did read all the related facts regarding download and install, maybe I'm missing
    something.
    Any advice, please.
    Thanks.

Re: thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind
    Are you suggesting to something went wrong with the burning, data lost or corrupted files perhaps?
    What I was expecting was a smooth boot up just like Knoppix 4 instead of typing commands, .....
    From what you wrote I was thinking that you had not burnt the ISO properly, but now that you've given more detail I suspect that I was wrong. The adriane version of the Live CD does indeed default to the text interface. Supposedly you can type knoppix during the boot and get the GUI, but when I tried I found the window of opportunity to type that very short, less than a second, not the normal 10 second boot window.

There is a non-adriane version of 6.0.1 that may suit you better if you can't get the knoppix option in there. Don't get your hope up too much though, the Livre CD is pretty limited and many people including myself are very disappointed with it.
    ---

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 6.1 DVD not booting

I posted the appended in the NEWS thread the other day.
    Think that is it is more appropriate to post under this thread.
    Capable hands, please help. Regards, Julian

************************************************** *********************************

>>Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quoteEdit/Delete this post

>>carolus wrote:
    >>eco2geek wrote:
    >>Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD is already
    >>available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

>>But it won't boot on my machine. (No problem with 6.01.) Lots of segfaults and I/O error messages. Some of us will
    >>just have to wait for the official DVD.

**I have experienced the same won't-boot problem as Carolus described.

**I have spent the last 3-4 days downloading the 31 files Knoppix 6.1 DVD package.
    **The download was completed 4-5 hours ago and was WINRAR to create "Knoppix 6.1.iso" file of size 3,017,982KB. I
    **then used Nero Express to burnt the iso file into an DVD. I have experiencing DVD burning problems with Nero and/or
    **the DVD media which I believe I have fixed that (Nero error: internal target error). Thereafter, I have tried booting
    **the DVD with or w/o cheatcodes but end up failed at the very beginning of each boot. Below I am giving the detailed
    **information about the failed boots:

**1. Boot without any cheat code
    **a. display is in German
    **b. right after the line ">>> Bitte den Datentrager..............<<<" , I got a message of "bus error"
    **c. after awhile, I a plain English message saying: "init : exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
    **d. system just hang

**2. Boot with "Knoppix lang=us" cheat code
    **a. all display is in plain English
    **b. right after the line ">>> Pls do not remove medium until shutdown!! <<<", I got a message in plain English: "init :
    **exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
    **c. please note that the "Bus error" message was not displayed this time
    **d. system just hang

**I would like to confirm that I have previously booted the same system with both Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD and knoppix 6.0.1
    **successfully.

**eco2qeek and capable hands, please chip in to identifying the problem.

**Thanks & Regards,
    **Julian Chan

Knoppix 6.1 DVD not booting

Last post reported Knoppix 6.1 DVD created did not boot.
    I have also mentioned problem encountered while burning the DVD.
    Finally a copy went through and the same copy was used for booting but failed the boot.

Not convinced Knoppix is the culprit, I bought myself a brand new DVD writer.
    Burnt 2 copies of Knoppix 6.1 DVD from same iso file with two (2) different DVD media.
    Guess what - both copies were able to boot a laptop and a desktop.

This implies problem should be caused by (skewed) DVD head alignment, that is, DVD produced on one burner may not be able to read by other DVD reader/writer.

So, my case is closed - javascript:emoticon('')

Regards,
    Julian

Re: Knoppix 6.1 DVD not booting

Quote Originally Posted by juliantchan
    Burnt 2 copies of Knoppix 6.1 DVD from same iso file with two (2) different DVD media.

This implies problem should be caused by....
    I'm betting that you ignored the advice in the downloading FAQ to burn at low speed. Problems of this nature are very frequently seen with high speed burns. Sure, some high speed burns do work, so getting a new burner and burning at high speed doesn't disprove anything. And just maybe you did have a bad burner. But what you describe sounds very much like a high speed burn issue.
    ---

Re: Knoppix 6.1 DVD not booting

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by juliantchan

This implies problem should be caused by....
    I'm betting that you ignored the advice in the downloading FAQ to burn at low speed. Problems of this nature are very frequently seen with high speed burns. Sure, some high speed burns do work, so getting a new burner and burning at high speed doesn't disprove anything. And just maybe you did have a bad burner. But what you describe sounds very much like a high speed burn issue.
    Harry, Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I did use 16x to write data to the DVDs the very first try but reduce to next lower speed (8x and then 4x) when failed the data verification test each time. Finally, stopped with DVD created @ 4x as it passed the data verification test. Today, by using a brand new DVD burner and writing data @ 16x, I was able to create at least two (2) good Knoppix 6.1 DVDs successfully. IMHO, in this case, I strongly believe the problem is linked to write head out of alignment but may have remote chances that the problem was caused by high data writing speed.

Thanks and regards,
    Julian

Hey, Harry
    Hello, Everybody
    Harry, I follow your tip and I re-read the topic on Downloading from the Documentation link. Question #10 has a link for an ISO burning program,
    it worked marvelous, it did the job.
    For some reason my NeroXpress wasn't right for it. Anyways, thanks for the great help.
    Little trick, burn the icon ISO Knoppix, NOT the files from folder or the extracted folder BUT the icon itself which contains the files you previously saw.
    Once Again,LINUX rocks.