Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official AC97/Via Onboard Sound Problem Thread Thingie

The Official AC97/Via Onboard Sound Problem Thread Thingie

K, I am going to try to help everyone who is having probs get there sound setup as best as possible but first some info on my system/sound
    PC: athlonxp 1700+, 512mb ddr ram, biostar m7vib (via266 chipset) mobo latest firmware, offboard network card (8139 realtek) nvidia geforce2mx400 with 32mb ram, altec lansing 4 point speakers (i forget what model) with sub (so 5 speakers, theyre black). music preference/what im listening too: Jungle/Drum 'n Bass/Reggae. reason using knoppix: to install gentoo (though gentoo doesnt seem to like me installing it, but thats another issue). knoppix 3.2 in kde. hyundai 17inch v770 deluxscan monitor. using xmms for playing mp3s on an NTFS mounted drive.

Ok, before I proceed, I have to say my sound still doesnt sound QUITE as good as it did in windows (not holding anything against linux/knoppix/alsa) but its now DAMN close (most people probably couldnt tell difference).

Q: My Soundcard doesnt work?!??!111 HELP ME CAFFIENTMAN?!11
    When booting knoppix use the asla cheat (so boot: knoppix alsa), so it will autoconf alsa for you.

GREAT, sound works, if you just need system sounds, you can probly leave it here, but if you want to play some music, you realize that it sounds pretty crappy (for various reasons).

First, disable ACPI in your BIOS and use noacpi cheat (im not sure if the cheat does anything but i type it anyway). Second, go into Konsole and type alsamixer, get PCM to under 75 (but as close to it as u can without being over) and dont mess with the volume in XMMS since that will change PCM and it seems to degrade sound after 75. Third, go into Control Center (should be on the kde start bar thing with the card and the gear picture) and go to Sound System in Sound and Multimedia, check start aRTs and leave the autosuspend and display message stuff alone. go to Sound I/O tab, enable full duplex operation, use custom sample rate (48000) ((VERY IMPORTANT TO SET THAT). Sound I/O method should be ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture). sound quality i set to 16bit. i leave the buffer size alone though change it if u need too. hit apply and close!, your sound now sounds way better since its not being downsampled to 22kHz (from 44kHz most likely, 48 if its a dvd/SACD).

XMMS stuff:
    first, remember to leave the xmms volume at under 75 since that is PCM. enable the equalizer and get it tuned to how u like, notice the preamp, turn it down if u are still experiencing distortion (though you will have to turn speakers way up to compensate).

doing all that i have managed to get sound like 95% as good as it sounded in windows.

If anyone here is a pro at setting up gentoo and would like to use a remote desktop session to do it for me i wouldnt be adversed

Senior Member registered user
    Dear caf
    WOW! THANKS THANKS THANKS

I have a via EPIA M9000 ITX VT1616 6channel
    AC'97 on board sound.

When I got KNOPPIX I did without sound of a month.
    Then I got the update and alsa. I was so happy to
    hear anything it took a few hours to be aware of
    the terrible static. Now this is wonderful. I was
    ready to buy an sound card and was just asking
    what to buy on this forum.

Since I have no hard drive I need to know what
    files are effected by your steps. Then I can write
    a script to to the same thing by copying in a file
    or two wiht the correct settings. Any help would
    be appreciated.

What is ACIP --will my computer start smoking with it off?

Will these setting allow me to set up 6 channel sound?

Best Wishes
    again thanks!
    paradocs

Hello cafFIEND

Because your post will certainly be of interest to others,
    I have posted your steps on Knopper.net in German.

I made a link to your post and given you credit.
    Hopfully the steps are clear and correct.

Knopper.net
    Hardware
    ALSA Sound Probleme Lösung VIA AC97 Onboard

http://<a href="http://www.linuxtag....1054792197</a>

viele Grüße
    paradocs

What is ACIP --will my computer start smoking with it off?

Will these setting allow me to set up 6 channel sound?
    AC*P*I (advanced c(something) power interface? i dont remember exactly what it stands for ) not ACIP, is power managment, and doesnt really affect knoppix out of the box, just do a proper shut down and everything is fine, you dont HAVE to disable it, some people wouldnt notice any sound change, but for many, it messess with interupts or something and distorts sound on ac97 (me for example). I wish I could tell you about setting up 6 channel sound, however although im using a 5 point system, im just doing Stereo x2 (same front and back) because my ac97 has only one out (front). What files are affected? Not quite sure, i dont save any of my settings to hdd and they all get reset when i restart the pc so i never quite paid attention. alsamixer? that may save to a file? kde control center probably saves to something? wish i could be of more help :/

thanks for translating it to german, i read some stuff here about people saying 'buy a new soundcard, that static cant at all be helped, ac97 is 7 years old' well until my new soundcard gets here i at least want this to sound as good as possible, and after like 5 hours of searching i came up with all that stuff.

Some very interesting notes. One question though, how do we fix this issue if we already have installed it to the hard drive via knxinstall? My machine is using CMI 9739 onboard sound which has 6 channel capabilities. However, they are recognizing it as the generic AC'97 codec. Right now my sound events are off pitch and when I try to use ALSA it doesn't work at all, most likely cause I didn't use the ALSA cheat. Suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus
    Some very interesting notes. One question though, how do we fix this issue if we already have installed it to the hard drive via knxinstall? My machine is using CMI 9739 onboard sound which has 6 channel capabilities. However, they are recognizing it as the generic AC'97 codec. Right now my sound events are off pitch and when I try to use ALSA it doesn't work at all, most likely cause I didn't use the ALSA cheat. Suggestions are welcome.
    There is a tool left over from knoppix IIRC it is alsa-autoconfig which does as it says configures alsa automatically and can be used after install.

IIRC? I'd hate to look like a newb but I don't know if that means Insane Internet Relay Crap or what? Could you plz be more specific?

I tried using the autoconfig and it didn't work so I broke down and reinstalled it using the alsa cheat. After the hard install though sound didn't work until I used the autoconfig command. Thanks for the starting the forum, which did help out a bit.

IIRC? I'd hate to look like a newb but I don't know if that means Insane Internet Relay Crap or what? Could you plz be more specific?
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly, good to hear you got it working.

--This should help you out in the future;
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast