Hi!
Going through the remastering process can be very time consuming, especially if you have to burn media to boot for testing. I was finally able to find a good combination to test using VMWare and ISO images mounted as CD for the VM.

!!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!! Only works for 6.01 if you need networking without installation of VMWare tools.

HOW TO
  • * Download VMWare that runs on top of your existing Windows installation. This is the free version.
    * Create a new virtual machine choosing Debian Linux, 1 GB of Ram and 16GB of disk.
    * Copy the KNOPPIX ISO to the same sub directory that your vmk disk file is in.
    * Add New Hardware to your newly created virtual machine and add the KNOPPIX ISO as a CD drive.
    * Start your virtual machine. This will boot with network if all is well. It did for me. This is important if you want to run apt-get in your chroot environment. I was not able to get the network to come up with the earlier KNOPPIX versions.
    * Run fdisk on VM ware virtual disk, for me this /dev/sda and create a Linux partition.
    * Create and ext2 file system using mkfs on /dev/sda1.
    * Mount the new disk, mount /mnt/sda1
    * Create a 1GB swap file using the Remastering instructions on /mnt/sda1.
    * Turn on swap, swapon /mnt/sda1/swapfile
    * Use /mnt/sda1 for remastering disk space.
    * Copy the ISO file out of VM ware to the directory with your VM virtual disk and KNOPPIX ISO file directory.
    * Stop your VM.
    * rename your KNOPPIX ISO file to the same name but with an additional ".orig" extension.
    * Now you can copy either the original or new ISO to the original KNOPPIX ISO to switch between the two and restart your VM.
    * Once you are satisfied with your new ISO you'll need to remaster again using a NON VM environment. My ISO created by the VM ware instance would only boot in VM Ware and NOT as a regular boot. I do not know why.
    * Copy your knx/ directory you created /mnt/sda1 to a USB drive for remastering on the source machine.
    * Reboot your machine into KNOPPIX and remaster the ISO from the USB drive knx/ directory. Place the final ISO on the USB.
    * Reboot into Windows. Test the final image in your VM Ware environment before burning for testing on a real machine.

Note the network came up fine and I never installed the VM Ware tools.