Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knoppix on Gecko EduBook

After my prior post I did a search for "cheat codes" and "knoppix" and using

knoppix screen=1024x600 desktop=icewm

I got a boot into a workable setup. KDE is really too heavy duty for the CPU in this netbook. However,
    there is now the ability to get in and do rescue work should some other install attempt go awry.

Michael Barnes, Norhtec CEO, has been very helpful. He sent me a link to a kernel image file that should work with either Debian or WattOS:
    Username : anonymous
    password : anonymous
    Note this is an ftp server, not HTTP; the image file is in the /shared directory in .deb format. Mr. Barnes indicated that the way to install it is to boot a host computer to the live CD, use it to install the distro (we were specifically talking about WattOS) to an 8GB SD card, boot that computer to the SD card, and install the kernel image (.deb file), then install the card in the Gecko and boot to it. I've been installing directly from an external CDROM.

It finally occurred to me to ask, and it seems that Nortec also sells SD cards with workable installations of both WattOS and Puppy Linux already installed, and at very reasonable prices. I've ordered one of each. I'll keep you posted.

Here's a thought for someone with more time that I have: could you find a Knoppix release with kernel 2.6.30, and tweak it with the same new kernel? Then try it in the Gecko? It's been many years but Knoppix used to have issues when installed to HD. Nobody back then thought we'd be running OSs from flash drives, they were 2 megabytes not 8GB and way too slow. Better to run DOS from floppy!

Luck to all,

Kevin Bowers

Yes, agree, Norhtec has been quite helpful. I got the same IP address and have tried the kernel under both
    Lenny (current stable) and Squeeze(current testing). Over the weekend I found a way to upgrade the
    Lenny kernel (2.6.26...) to the 2.6.30... kernel from backports. However, in both cases the kernel
    from Norhtec failed with a general protection fault during bootup . So I downloaded the stock 2.6.30
    kernel source from kernel.org, used the config from the Norhtec kernel, and then recompiled on the Edubook--
    it took about 2.5 hours--not bad for a quite limited CPU! However, that kernel also had a general protection
    fault at the same point. They all happen just after swap is initialized. Based on the traceback, the kernel
    was trying to access the BIOS with: __apm_bios_call+0x75/0xf0.

The Debian backports kernel and the Squeeze kernal both asserted that the Edubook had neither APM nor
    ACPI support. Perhaps the APM modules are compiled in? My next step is to look at the config of the
    kernel and disable any attempt to check the BIOS for APM. My machine at least, shows no hint
    of any APM or ACPI in the BIOS setup. Is there a BIOS update available from the maker of the
    Vortex86MX board? I would like to have some way of monitoring the state of the battery in the
    Edubook.

Also neither Debian installs are able to load the firmware for the Airlink 101 wireless USB stick I
    have. The stick works fine on two other computers with Lenny with either 2.6.26... or 2.6.30...
    So I suspect something in the detail of the Edubook hardware is the source of the failure.

I don't see any reference to ACPI or APM in the BIOS, either, but Windows XP reports that the computer is APM compliant. However, the tooltip associated with the tray icon for the battery always reports 85%, whether it's fully charged or after the "low battery" warning balloon pops up. Sure would be nice to have a plain old voltmeter, but unfortunately these days most people don't know a volt from a velocipede.

I haven't even gotten an order confirmation on the SD cards with Linux installed, maybe I got lost in their e-paper mill. I've sent them another request-to-order.

WattOS up & running

Just a quick update:

Took a lot of work, but the WattOS image Norhtec has on their server can be installed in the Gecko Edubook with Clonezilla. I found Clonezilla a bit confusing but eventually had a working WattOS beta 2 installation. The sound even worked--but not the wi-fi. Another round of e-mails with Norhtec and I wound up compiling a downloaded driver for the new updated wi-fi dongle--almost exactly 24 hours before the cards with the 2 OSs installed arrived.

Since I already have a WattOS system installed I haven't even tried that card, I assume it works. The Puppy Linux card, however, still won't work either sound or wi-fi. It's version 4.2.1, which has lots of fancy window-dressing and is probably the prettiest desktop I've ever seen, but still not fully functional on this machine. Norhtec says they're trying to get an Edubook to Barry Kauler (Puppy founder) so perhaps he can tweak it around; I hope so since I'm a Puppy fan.

Anyone had any more luck with Knoppix? From what I've seen so far it's probably too heavy a distro for the Edubook. Most of the apps I've tried won't play an mp3 without "skipping"; only one, SMPlayer, does well enough to listen to. The CPU "meter" stays pegged all the time it's playing; even moving the mouse causes skipping.

Happy computing,
    --Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12