Thread: Cheat codes

Member registered user

Cheat codes

OK, download version 6.2 burn to CD, boot, admire the lxde stuff, realise the keyboard is not tuned to uk use, check the 'Cheat Codes' page, reboot, BUT entering lang=uk is rejected as a valid command, keyboard=uk likewise! WTF! lang=en is a valid code but it doesn't sort the keyboard out for uk users.

So, my query is, how to setup with uk prefs on lang and keyboard?

And, out of interest, if I install to a disk. how to dump the lxde stuff for something more configurable like gnome?

Senior Member registered user
    you can do

Code:
    apt-get install kde or gnome
    to install any of those desktops instead of lxde.

Member registered user
    But that would give me all those unnecessary applications I don't like that come with gnome/kde by default. Wouldn't it? Really I like to know how to get the standard rescue disk to recognise a uk keyboard properly first.

Member registered user
    OK, after a little research I find that there is a file for uk keyboards in /usr/share/X11/xdb/symbols named "gb" that contains the right customisations. After starting knoppix in run level 2 and trying various changes to the xorg.conf file and seeing no result, I guess the setup isn' t handled by xorg any more. So how to load this symbol file?

Member registered user
    Ah, after trying (with a standard boot up of the Knoppix rescue CD) in a terminal "sudo setxkbmap gb" this fixes everything _except_ the UK pound sign (Shift-3) which prints as "?" - progress!

Similar Threads

1. Setting cheat codes on the fly?
    By skohrs in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
  2. Cheat Codes für HDD Installation.
    By ARAN in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:51 AM
  3. changing the cheat codes
    By usha panwar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3