Thread: Can't Create Persistent Disk Image

Can't Create Persistent Disk Image

Hi everyone,
    Im using a Dell Inspiron 1501, and knoppix starts up fine. Although, when I go to create a persistent disk image the message, "The KNOPPIX configuration could NOT be saved: No suitable partitions could be found." appears.

I want to create an image on the laptop's hard drive, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Brian

Member registered user

Re: Can't Create Persistent Disk Image

Brian asked a question. Nobody answered. It's been almost a month since he asked. Is this forum a joke? Or what? I'd love to have some answers but I dare not ask them in here; it would be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by brian3.parker
    Hi everyone,
    Im using a Dell Inspiron 1501, and knoppix starts up fine. Although, when I go to create a persistent disk image the message, "The KNOPPIX configuration could NOT be saved: No suitable partitions could be found." appears.

Thanks,
    Brian

Administrator Site Admin-
    buymystock, you perhaps misunderstand the purpose of this forum. Brian, like you, hasn't paid for any support. Or, in fact, for Knoppix itself.

This is a very popular place to get Knoppix questions answered but it's not owned by the Knoppix creator nor is he directly involved in running this site / helping with questions. Everyone here who provides answers and helps new users out is a volunteer. If you wish their help you'd be better off asking nicely rather than taking an arrogant tone.

A lot of first time posters will never get their question answered. In many cases, I find, it's because they haven't bothered to use the search facility to see if their question has already been answered and, often, they haven't even read the documentation. I'm not passing judgement on this OP or saying that this is what he did, but here's one example of a post from the last couple of days that's unlikely to ever get answered

Member registered user
    perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of my letter; why bother to have a forum when nobody answers questions?...you perfectly understand my complaint and reasoning against the lack of concern for questions asked about Linux and Unix here at Knoppix.net...and your very lengthy reply does nothing, absolutely nothing, to ease the new user's difficulty of understanding how to use it...you say, "From Zero To Linux In 5 Minutes" but you really mean "5 Years" if someone is to learn from the beginning, starting here at Knoppix.net for advice on how to get started with Linux...you're a colossal failure as a teacher and as an advisor on the subject of Unix OS--and this is a universal problem at 95% of the Linux forums, with most every so called "reply" to a question about how to use the Linux OS--thus, this very good OS remains in it's Neanderthal-development stage as far as its being used by most people in the world--whereas, it SHOULD be used my most people in the world because anything Microsoft makes is truly trash! If you don't know THAT, you need to do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton
    buymystock, you perhaps misunderstand the purpose of this forum. Brian, like you, hasn't paid for any support. Or, in fact, for Knoppix itself.

This is a very popular place to get Knoppix questions answered but it's not owned by the Knoppix creator nor is he directly involved in running this site / helping with questions. Everyone here who provides answers and helps new users out is a volunteer. If you wish their help you'd be better off asking nicely rather than taking an arrogant tone.

A lot of first time posters will never get their question answered. In many cases, I find, it's because they haven't bothered to use the search facility to see if their question has already been answered and, often, they haven't even read the documentation. I'm not passing judgement on this OP or saying that this is what he did, but here's one example of a post from the last couple of days that's unlikely to ever get answered

you perfectly understand my complaint and reasoning against the lack of concern for questions asked about Linux and Unix here at Knoppix.net
    This isn't a paid support forum, buymystock, as I've said earlier. Nobody here has a duty to answer questions so nobody is at "fault" for not replying to you. Anybody is welcome to post a question and anybody else is welcome to answer the question if they choose. That's how simple it is.

I admire teachers but I'm not one. I am just a humble forum administrator. As owner of the site and as forum admin I just facilitate the conversation and keep the trash (SPAM) out. That's all.

Member registered user
    For sure, it IS a paid support forum. One gets paid every time they help another. If your scope of the word "paid" only encompasses coins and currency as the medium of exchange then you're not getting paid what you're worth. Indeed, you seem to be getting paid for coming back to my intense interrogation and cross-examination. Paid one way or another. I misunderstood your web site to be some official authorized Knoppix help forum. In reality, it's nothing more than trite gibberish--with its pretentious and needlessly obscure language. What do you and your web site want to be when you grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton
    you perfectly understand my complaint and reasoning against the lack of concern for questions asked about Linux and Unix here at Knoppix.net
    This isn't a paid support forum, buymystock, as I've said earlier. Nobody here has a duty to answer questions so nobody is at "fault" for not replying to you. Anybody is welcome to post a question and anybody else is welcome to answer the question if they choose. That's how simple it is.

I admire teachers but I'm not one. I am just a humble forum administrator. As owner of the site and as forum admin I just facilitate the conversation and keep the trash (SPAM) out. That's all.

Senior Member registered user

Brian, how about answering brian?, if he makes a partition either FAT32 or EXT2 or EXT3 he can use that to save his configurations, then he has to reboot and do
    Code:
    knoppix myconf=scan and home=scan
    when hee sees the first Knoppix bootscreen on that second reboot.
    also up just under the Knoppix.net logo the third link is Documentation
    that take you to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page , there you can learn how and why with just a bit of reading.
    also a quick serch of this forum will show the answer, it has been asked and aswered several times before, almost with exact wording even.
    here is one usefull tidbit
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

easiest solution is to use a USB drive

<edited by Clinton on Jan 02, 2010 to correct the wiki Main Page link>

Thanks, OErjan.

If anyone has any specific rewording they want to do on the wiki to make it easier to understand, please feel free to register and edit away.

According to the web logs, Categories is another useful page that many new visitors tend not to find.