Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke
We in "Linuxland" know what a "live cd" is but probably NObody in Windblowsland knows what a live cd is.
Now.........admittedly, the term "live cd" is a cool term, that is a fack jack as Bill Murrey said in the film...
But.... maybe there might be a rethink of "terminology" and a focused effort to put adverts into "free places" such as Craig's list, local newspaper forums, yada, yada, that would use a "quick" term that is more understandable by non Linux people while still retaining the "coolness" factor.
woodsmoke
Hi.
I think you are right and this seems to be THE KEY point for GNU/Linux to appeal to the "99%" group, Windblowseans, as you put...

No matter great the technical argument might be, for the "99%" group what we should be doing is to put a great dosage of effort on the process of communication and use a "language" effective for "them" instead of a more technical arguments that is being used inside the LinuxLanders groups.

In other words, perhaps THE key question is to depart from a "technical advantage approach" to a "mundane, why not use it too"...

I think that you raised the central question.
At least in my point of view, this is where the greatest challenge is and where the effort cannot be ignored...

Valter