Thread: Beyond the “LiveUSB”

Threaded View

Junior Member registered user

Best way to introduce GNU/Linux

Hi, my second take on the subject is around the GNU/Linux "marketing".

I believe that this following diagram illustrate well the options we have every time we want to talk about GNU/Linux with somebody that currently don’t use it and don’t have technical knowledge of PCs and etc.

hires here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/...fed629b2_o.jpg

The way I think is that if we focus on the "live" and "virtualization" modes as the introductory way to talk about GNU/Linux, we reduce and almost eliminate all initial barriers that a first-time user may have. In this sense we, introducing GNU/Linux at beginning using the "live" or "virtualized" modes, can help make it more popular because it avoids the technical needs that are part of a "dual boot" or "native HD" install.

It is not a bad idea to show to the new potential users that he/she has 4 alternative ways to "install" a new OS, and 2 of these are completely safe and very easy.

As for the virtualization mode, the VirtualBox is currently, in my point of view, the best alternative to use for such purposes.

Valter
    Last edited by netzen; 04-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

FORTINET FORTIGATE 40F Next GEN Firewall Network Security EXPIRED (FG-40F)- New picture

FORTINET FORTIGATE 40F Next GEN Firewall Network Security EXPIRED (FG-40F)- New

$159.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F | 10 Gbps Firewall Network Security EXPIRED (FG-60F)- New picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F | 10 Gbps Firewall Network Security EXPIRED (FG-60F)- New

$279.99

FORTINET FORTIGATE 40F Next GEN Firewall Security Unregistered (FG-40F)-Open Box picture

FORTINET FORTIGATE 40F Next GEN Firewall Security Unregistered (FG-40F)-Open Box

$219.99

Fortinet Fortigate 61E FG-61E Network Security/Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet Fortigate 61E FG-61E Network Security/Firewall Appliance

$99.00

Sophos XG 86 firewall with adapter and tested picture

Sophos XG 86 firewall with adapter and tested

$50.00

Protectli FW10408 Vault Micro Firewall picture

Protectli FW10408 Vault Micro Firewall

$125.00

Fortinet Fortiwifi 60D FG-60D Security Appliance Firewall / VPN w/ AC Adapter picture

Fortinet Fortiwifi 60D FG-60D Security Appliance Firewall / VPN w/ AC Adapter

$34.97

Firewalla: Cyber Security Firewall Purple SE Home & Business, Protect Network picture

Firewalla: Cyber Security Firewall Purple SE Home & Business, Protect Network

$199.95

FORTINET FG-500D FortiGate 500D, 10xGE RJ45 ports, 8xGE SFP slots Firewall picture

FORTINET FG-500D FortiGate 500D, 10xGE RJ45 ports, 8xGE SFP slots Firewall

$126.00

1U BareMetal pfsense opnsense Router Firewall DNS Server 6x 10GB Ethernet Ports picture

1U BareMetal pfsense opnsense Router Firewall DNS Server 6x 10GB Ethernet Ports

$149.00