Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knoppix 6.3 Live CD Wired Connection

Junior Member registered user

Re: Knoppic 6.3 Live CD Wired Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by jaques1
    Thanks for the help but IMHO the automatic creation of an internet connection on a standard Intel desktop is a pre-requisite in a modern Linux distro so I'll pass on Knoppix 6.3 for the present.
    Hardly anyone would disagree with that, and of course the most sensible thing for you is to just pass it on.

What in my opinion is very little sensible of you, is that you won't give us the details about the failing configuration. That means nobody here gets the chance to go into the details, and, probably, the person who reads the bug report you filed does not have the corresponding hardware.

And your problem with your Dell machine is not typical for Knoppix 6.X, to say the least. I have myself run 6.X on six different Dell laptops, (built 1998-2009), with no wired network problem at all. Maybe I have even got your network chip up and running with 6.2.1 automatically. Maybe some serious bug is introduced in 6.3, maybe you have a damaged chip which Fedora manages to work around automatically. (Happened to me with an Inspiron 8100.) It would have been interesting, maybe important, to know, and Debian is mostly a community project, relying on volunteers and input form users like you and me.
    I take your point about input to the community.

The output from "ifconfig" and "lspci -v" are shown below.

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6516 (6.3 KiB) TX bytes:6516 (6.3 KiB)

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0160
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
    Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled] [size=128M]
    Memory at feb80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=512K]

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at ff80 [size=32]
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at ff60 [size=32]

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at ff40 [size=32]

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    Memory at ffa80800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    Memory behind bridge: fd000000-feafffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
    I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
    I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
    Memory at feb7fc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at eda0 [size=32]
    Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at ee00 [size=256]
    I/O ports at edc0 [size=64]
    Memory at feb7fa00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Memory at feb7f900 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
    Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device 203e
    Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel, IRQ 3
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Expansion ROM at fe000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb

01:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 8127
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
    Memory at fe9fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Expansion ROM at fe020000 [disabled] [size=16K]
    Kernel modules: b44

HTH

Moderator Moderator
    FWIW - I got my wired connection working today when I was on-site with the DSL system again. Basically, it seems that this Netopia-3000 adsl modem/router does not handle name service well. I knew from days of yore that the provider (BellSouth) runs a couple of "test DNS servers" and a quick Googling brought up the addresses (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1) which I then forced into the connection preferences and voila! Perhaps this will fix the original problem for Jaques, or it's unrelated but might help someone else later on...

Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    FWIW - I got my wired connection working today when I was on-site with the DSL system again. Basically, it seems that this Netopia-3000 adsl modem/router does not handle name service well. I knew from days of yore that the provider (BellSouth) runs a couple of "test DNS servers" and a quick Googling brought up the addresses (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1) which I then forced into the connection preferences and voila! Perhaps this will fix the original problem for Jaques, or it's unrelated but might help someone else later on...

Krishna
    Thanks for the thought but my Billion ADSL2 modem/router seems to be perfectly conventional and handles automatic wired connections on this PC for WinXPPro SP3, Fedora 12 and Mandriva 2010. No doubt there's probably a simple explanation for being unable to get my Knoppix 6.3 USB stick to connect but it looks like it isn't going to be available any time soon.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jaques1

Krishna
    Thanks for the thought but my Billion ADSL2 modem/router seems to be perfectly conventional and handles automatic wired connections on this PC for WinXPPro SP3, Fedora 12 and Mandriva 2010. No doubt there's probably a simple explanation for being unable to get my Knoppix 6.3 USB stick to connect but it looks like it isn't going to be available any time soon.
    Hmm- there's a Windows XP machine that connects okay on the same line that I used. I wonder what's different about Knoppix that it didn't seem to get name service there, but it did on numerous wireless connections.

Hmm- there's a Windows XP machine that connects okay on the same line that I used. I wonder what's different about Knoppix that it didn't seem to get name service there, but it did on numerous wireless connections.
    That got me thinking: so I booted my USB stick Knoppix 6.3 on my EeePC901 (which normally runs WinXPHome and Moblin2.1) and plugged in a wired connection to the LAN2 port of my Billion ADSL2 modem router. Result: immediate internet connection.

What this proves I'm not sure but at least I can play with Knoppix 6.3 on the 901 for now. BTW it automatically loaded Compiz complete with spinning cube, wobbly windows and transparency. V nice.

A similar problem has been reported for Debian Squeeze

Debian Bug report logs - #530024
    eth0 Wired interface not managed (on squeeze install/upgrade).

Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:45:02 UTC

Severity: important

Found in version network-manager/0.7.1-1

The bug has not been patched, but the report log includes several things that fixed this for the individual user.

I am not sure that this is relevant to Knoppix 6.3, of course.

Steve

Re: A similar problem has been reported for Debian Squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by stevesr0
    Debian Bug report logs - #530024
    eth0 Wired interface not managed (on squeeze install/upgrade).

Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:45:02 UTC

Severity: important

Found in version network-manager/0.7.1-1

The bug has not been patched, but the report log includes several things that fixed this for the individual user.

I am not sure that this is relevant to Knoppix 6.3, of course.

Steve
    I tried commenting out the lines

| allow-hotplug eth0
    | iface eth0 inet dhcp

in file /etc/network/interfaces as suggested in the bug but still can't connect on my desktop PC.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    I think I may be having the same problem; when I try to use the wired ethernet connection at a location where I have been successful in the past under Windows on the same hardware (Gateway MX6214, 2GB RAM) - it just doesn't see the Ethernet connection. Weird! Knoppix has always been fine with that on earlier versions
    I've also had success with previous Knoppix versions running on my wired Internet connection via a router, but the V6.2.1 DVD I tried yesterday quickly with the default LXDE desktop, and today with KDE desktop, doesn't even find the Ethernet interface.

The GUI network configuraration tools (e.g. NetworkManager Applet 0.7.999) have everything grayed out, and in some places says that I am "Not allowed to make changes."

ifconfig - a just has something for "lo" -- no eth0 or eth1 like the older Knoppixes find.

dmesg | grep eth | less has no output, which must mean that the hardware detection phase doesn't find my network "card".

The machine is a Dell Dimension 2400, based on the Intel Brookdale-G i845G chipset, with a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

I'm primarily a Windows user who grabs a Linux live disc for the self-tuning Internet connection to judge Windows against. One of Knoppix's "claim to fame" has been the wide range of hardware that it automatically adapts to.

Is there a simple way, e.g., via "cheatcodes", to have it see my NIC?

Moderator Moderator
    I'd suggest disabling some of the hardware autodetection, in fact almost everything that's not essential (nousb nothis nothat, etc.) It may not do it, but what have you got to lose? I'd also suggest using a persistent store and a downloaded driver (using e.g. Windows to find the right one and get it on your hd.)

Hope that helps!
    Krishna

Member registered user
    Hi All It's possible to connect to a wired network from Knoppix6.3 live dvd using the same workaround as was needed for Knoppix6.0 [this was fixed in 6.2 but seems to have relapsed in 6.3] - problem being that settings for autoeth0 in NetworkManager Applet are somehow locked and not editable - BUT - if you right click on network icon to R of panel and go to you are able to add a new connection - so go to IPv4 settings tab and enter IP, mask and gateway [press after each of these] for your connection and DNS entries below and then click on add - should connect automatically now to your new autoeth1. If not, left click on same connection icon and then click on Correction - for some reason DNS entries do not seem to go from NetworkManager Applet to /etc/resolv.conf where they belong - so you need to open this file as root and enter for each of your DNS servers [on separate lines] then save and should be able to connect to net - at least it worked for me BUT - I assume these settings will be lost between boots, at least if you just use Knoppix as live cd - there must be a way of unlocking autoeth0 as in Knoppix 6.2 - but how? Best wishes, John
    Last edited by johnmd; 05-18-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: omission

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12