Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet/resolution/Cinerrela-setup from USB

Junior Member registered user

Internet/resolution/Cinerrela-setup from USB

Hello,
    This is my first Linux experience and I'm quite lost.
    First a short summary of how I got here, I got this nice Canon HD video camera as a present for my birthday. The software for editing the video that came with it is incompatible with my 64 bit Windows 7 system. There are some nice commercial video editing software, but quite expensive, so looking around I found there are even nicer software, free, but only for Linux. But I also noticed there was a way to try them with these "live cd", "distros" and stuff like that. There is actually a plethora of these and figuring out how to approach is quite daunting.

The first I tried was the Kdenlive here:
    http://www.poure.com/kdenlive/debian...090702.x64.img
    But got stuck when it apparently does not recognize my Nvidia 9400M graphics card and the boot never finishes.

So then I tried dyne:bolic, hoping to try Cinerrela, but no luck there either, boot never finishes and I don't know why.

So then according to this site:
    http://cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php
    Knoppix supposedly includes cinerrela so I tried that next.

Now, for the first time knoppix did boot!. I got it the following way, downloaded the universal USB installer and chose koppix fron the list, downloaded that and it got installed in a 4GB USB pendrive.
    It does not seem to contain Cinerrela though.

So my first questions are:

1. Knoppix does not seem to be taking full advantage of my display. It is capable of 1920x1200, how can I change that? there are no choices but the default.
    2. During boot I chose to allow 2000 MB for data, but no matter how many times I try to setup the internet connection it does not seem to "Stick" and disappears. I have a wired connection, it's not working with knoppix, how do I set it up?
    3. Once I get that running, supposing I download Kdenlive,Cinerrela or whatever other application, how do I install them using this USB system?

Thanks for any help.

Senior Member registered user
    uhm, the internet connection should stick if you choose to save config in the knoppix menu.

now, to install cinerrela, try using a program called synaptic, there you get a menu with available programs.

you have to add a few lines in a file called sources.list (list of program sources) that lies in the directory /etc/apt
    what to add is explained here
    http://cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#apt-x86
    to add the line just open the file wiht a text editor as root and simply incert the line somewhere, type the command below in a terminal.

sudo abiword

the rest is described on the page (how to add the key...
    keep asking if something is unclear

as for the display, try using cheatcode when you first see the

knoppix:

just type, screen=1920x1200

below you have a few useful links with more information on things you can do in knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page

specifically these can be of use.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category...Linux_Commands

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category...oppix_Commands

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Cheat_Codes

About the internet connection, well by the time I get to save config the connection I have created/edited is already gone, never active. I only get to a menu where I can configure the connection by going through the VPN menu. Then I choose wired and add and enter the IP's . But as soon as I hit apply it's gone!

About installing Cinerrela,
    Is the synaptic program already in the USB or is someting I have to download?
    When modifiying the sources.list, how do I know which processor to choose? This is intel(R) core(TM) duo CPU T9600@2.8GHZ, I don't see it on the list.

Thank you very much for your help!

Update!

The screen resolution code did not work. Something about not finding a kernel.

The internet connections I created are now there! and working!

I'm totally lost about how to install Cinerrella!

Hey, there is some progress, this thing can really fly in the internet!

Administrator Site Admin-

subjects should relay meaning about the topic

ngc7088, Please use the edit function to change your subject line. See answer #7 or the sticky post in the general forum for more details.

Sorry,

I should have probably made three different questions in three different forums. But then If I made all the questions I have I could flood the place. Taking it bit by bit.

Hope it's better now.

thanks

Thanks for making the edit. Much like litter on the street, "I'm a noob" posts seem to breed, and if not kept in check they quickly get out of hand.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc7088
    Update!

The screen resolution code did not work. Something about not finding a kernel.

The internet connections I created are now there! and working!

I'm totally lost about how to install Cinerrella!

Hey, there is some progress, this thing can really fly in the internet!
    When you see the penguin on startup (before it starts doing all the hardware/software config) type this:
    Code:
    knoppix screen=1920x1200
    That should take care of the display issue. Another option for installing software is downloading a ".deb" file from wherever you can find it, then using a program called "gdebi" which can be run by typing that command into a terminal window, then using the interface it gives you to install the .deb file into the OS.

Krishna

Re: thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks for making the edit. Much like litter on the street, "I'm a noob" posts seem to breed, and if not kept in check they quickly get out of hand.
    I understand why you don't like it. But it feels necessary. Even as it was, every help response I've gotten so far are highly cryptic to me. I have to read then time and time again and hope they mean what I think they mean. I'm done for the day but tomorrow I'll try to tackle krishna's advices as I understand them hoping there's no surprises. Very little luck so far...yet it's exciting somehow, and nostalgic, feels like the days before Windows...

Re: thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ngc7088
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I understand why you don't like it. But it feels necessary. Even as it was, every help response I've gotten so far are highly cryptic to me.........
    I certainly have no problem with someone explaining that they are new to Linux in the body of a post. And I don't complain if someone sneaks it into the subject along with a description of their problem. But several years ago this forum was littered with "I'm a noob" or "help" or other lame subject posts, subjects that gave a helper no clue as to what the post might be about, and subject lines that were worthless for searching. And there more there were, it seemed the more likely that the next new user would follow in the same style. I discussed it with the owner of the forum at the time and he agreed it was a problem.

So now, when it happens, we request that the poster give the post a meaningful subject. And it happens far less often now that it used to happen when the forums were littered with uninformative subject lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast