Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Site may be down while we make some changes

Administrator Site Admin-

WARNING: Site may be down while we make some changes

Over the next few days, these forums may be down while we make some changes/improvements to keep this place spam free and fight the heavy bot traffic.

Should you need to get in touch, please use webmaster at this domain.

You may face problems like being able to access the forums but not post and other times when you can't access at all. Sorry in advance for any inconvenience - I'll try to keep the disruption to the minimum - and thanks for understanding.

Hope you like the new look, guys. Well, it's just the default vBulletin skin, but it's a lot, lot more secure than the forum used to be before.

I'll be putting a post together explaining some of the advantages with the new setup and how you can gain from it. In the meanwhile please bear with any niggling issues and tweaking I'm still doing. Drop me a note at the address described above if you have any urgent matter to convey.

Moderator Moderator

Unhappy Sorry to put this up publicly - no other way I can find...

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Hope you like the new look, guys. Well, it's just the default vBulletin skin, but it's a lot, lot more secure than the forum used to be before.

I'll be putting a post together explaining some of the advantages with the new setup and how you can gain from it. In the meanwhile please bear with any niggling issues and tweaking I'm still doing. Drop me a note at the address described above if you have any urgent matter to convey.
    I'm not allowed to send a private message to you any more:

vBulletin Message
    krishna.murphy, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

FYI, (beta test feedback...) I miss being able to use smileys wherever I like in the posts, and being shown graphically which fora in the forum index have new posts (ones I have not seen.) I also haven't found a "post preview" button in my few posts so far, though this one has it. Hope that's helpful!

That's very useful. Thanks, I'll look into those. It looks like everyone's PMs got turned off. I have now enabled your private messages. Please tell me if you still have a problem. There shouldn't be a problem with using smileys - I see one smiley in your above post. Test

There's a new nav bar now below the original one and it has a link for What's New. Click on that and you'll see under that another link for New Posts. Both of those will lead to options where you can see new posts since last visit and/or new posts over last 24 hours. If you use the Advanced Search you can find new posts in last 48 hours/one week etc.

There isn't a preview but I'll see if that's something that can be enabled in the settings.

Moderators: Sorry, but you seem to have been all moved to a general group and can't moderate anything. I'll have to manually create mod privileges for each one. Drop me an email if you still don't have mod access in a couple of days.

Also, I noticed that when I log in on http://knoppix.net/forum it shows on that page that I'm logged out but if I navigate off that page to anywhere else it shows me logged in.

There the Site AdminKnoppix CreatorModerator that shows under people's name in their posts which needs to be sorted.

Any more issues?

Junior Member registered user
    The search still uses the old URL form, so all the links the search returns are broken.

Good point. Thanks. Will look into that and sort it.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    That's very useful. Thanks, I'll look into those. It looks like everyone's PMs got turned off. I have now enabled your private messages. Please tell me if you still have a problem. There shouldn't be a problem with using smileys - I see one smiley in your above post. Test
    Yeah, but if I try to do some other ones (that were preciously available by clicking something), e.g. "; )" (without the quotes or the space) or then I'm out of luck.
    There's a new nav bar now below the original one and it has a link for What's New. Click on that and you'll see under that another link for New Posts. Both of those will lead to options where you can see new posts since last visit and/or new posts over last 24 hours. If you use the Advanced Search you can find new posts in last 48 hours/one week etc.

There isn't a preview but I'll see if that's something that can be enabled in the settings.

Moderators: Sorry, but you seem to have been all moved to a general group and can't moderate anything. I'll have to manually create mod privileges for each one. Drop me an email if you still don't have mod access in a couple of days.

Also, I noticed that when I log in on http://knoppix.net/forum it shows on that page that I'm logged out but if I navigate off that page to anywhere else it shows me logged in.

There the Site AdminKnoppix CreatorModerator that shows under people's name in their posts which needs to be sorted.

Any more issues?
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 04-05-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Smiley was not right

I've found an obscure setting somewhere which enables these smileys in the post editor. All those who were members before the change should now be able to post smiley. Please check and get back.

I'm still working on some of the other bits. Please be patient with me, this is very unfamiliar territory and I'm just learning my way around the thousands and thousands of settings in vBulletin.

Testing:

OK, roll doesn't work. I'll be back.

Times seem to be much more confusing. The old phpBB system would show me the timestamps of posts based on my selected timezone. But I'm not sure what the Vb system is doing, it seems to know that I use EDT as my timezone, but it is showing me timestamps on other posts based on some other time zone, which is not specified. That is to say it is 4 something PM here but I'm seeing posts that were supposedly made at 9 something PM today. That is pretty useless without either translating the time to my time zone or, at a minimum, running the entire system on GMT time.

Other than that, this is my first post on the new system, really just making this post to see how things work.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    Times seem to be much more confusing. The old phpBB system would show me the timestamps of posts based on my selected timezone. But I'm not sure what the Vb system is doing, it seems to know that I use EDT as my timezone, but it is showing me timestamps on other posts based on some other time zone, which is not specified. That is to say it is 4 something PM here but I'm seeing posts that were supposedly made at 9 something PM today. That is pretty useless without either translating the time to my time zone or, at a minimum, running the entire system on GMT time.

Other than that, this is my first post on the new system, really just making this post to see how things work.
    I saw a post recently about problems with clock-setting (system vs. hardware), which seems very similar in nature; what exactly is the standard for timekeeping in Linux? And why is there not ONE standard way that's handled, now that we've seen the "Y2K problem" through to another new decade?

Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 04-06-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: More info now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast