Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: resizing knoppix-data.img

Senior Member registered user
    Ok, new information for me then.

Then the only issue I see is space. Because effectively you are making a backup copy it, and then also you make an increased sized copy of it. It will be hard to fulfill this requirement on a true flash installation with space constraint.

If the whole thing is worked on based on a offline method, then the actual knoppix-data can be worked on directly. The space requirement is minimum.

Junior Member registered user

Followup

Yes, I meant that script as reference for future HD/USB installs. It's common to size based on current popular sizes and as you upgrade your USB devices, usually about twice the previous popular/critical mass size, would make the script usable for 75% of the people out there. I mainly posted it here for future reference for more advanced users (and as an offsite-backup).

I added in your aes stuff in case i ever decide to encrypt my home filesys. Complete and configurable with reasonable defaults (including knowing how to uncomment lines for beginners).

Cheers.

Senior Member registered user
    Your stuff is definitely useful.

But I am hopeful that someone will take up the challenge of integrating the resizing into minirt.gz to provide resizing as a cheat code. The cheat code maybe is :-

knoppix increment=100

It then will increase the persistent store by 100MB, if only the space is available ( can use the same method which knoppix does to determine free space available). Since it works on the persistent store before it is mounted, the persistent store itself is directly worked on, without needing to make a copy, and so has the smallest space requirement.

I resized the knoppix-data.img but the size of loop0 remained the same - I need more space in loop0 in order to apt-get update and then apt-get install adobe or apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree. What do I do?

Hi,

Wot, no reply yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by rbrayer View Post
    I resized the knoppix-data.img but the size of loop0 remained the same
    It sounds like you didn't quite follow the instructions. How ? Since only you were there, only you would know.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrayer View Post
    What do I do?
    Hmm ... I think everyone resizes their persistent store at least once but Knoppix does not come with a convenient way to do this.

This simplest way (in that it requires least knowledge of Linux) is to start again. You could backup important stuff somewhere else first and restore it afterwards but you'd have to reinstall new software all over again so you might find it a bit of a pain.

A cheat code would be nice. There is now a pair of cheat codes that would serve http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...ersistent-data but you would have to install these yourself and I would not recommend that if you are not Linux capable and have not made becoming so one of this year's resolutions.

The instructions in this post seem clear and simple enough even though they don't use everyday commands. I have never done this myself. I can't see anything dodgy in the procedure but like kl522, I rather do it while the persistent store isn't mount.

There is another possibility that you may find easier to follow: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...update*.tar.gz. I would not use this myself because there are a couple of cases it does not handle but, for you, that might not be important and it may be less hassle that starting from scratch. I think the method is sound provided you do it immediately after remastering. Since the chap who devised this was trying to avoid remastering in the first place ...

I keep getting this message no matter what I am doing:
    You need to have a /media/sdb1 mounted
    Of course, it is mounted :P

Still getting the same message:
    You need to have a /media/sdb1 mounted

Moderator Moderator
    Please tell us, what you are doing and step by step how you did it. What error messages you've got and in which situation?

In this forum there are no clairvoyants.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

It happens when you try to resize a mounted cloop knoppix-data.img. Size of cloop remains the same, but size of file increase.
    You need to do using a live session of Knoppix, for example, so the cloop persistent data will not mounted and you can safe use it.

It 's happened to me the first time
    Bye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12