Thread: Wy is my KDE so minimal?

Wy is my KDE so minimal?

Hi there,

I'm trying to recover a Windows disk using the Knoppix Addriane 6.2 boot disk. I found instructions how to access the local area network using Konqueror so that I can transfer my files fromthe Windows volume to another machine on my network. The problem is, I have no Konqueror!

All the Knopix tutorials talk about this rich and full of functionality X-windows environment, but any environment that I choose during the boot options, whether it is KDE, GNOME, or any other only has the most limited programs and functionality. there's no Konqueror, and no visible way to manage network connections so that I can find a local machine.

I've been at it for 2 days now. Please help.

Kobi

I've got Knoppix 5.1 Koqueror appears

I've been at it for 2 days now. Please help.

Kobi[/QUOTE]

I've got Knoppix 5.1.0, which I got on disk, not download, but should be available. Knoqueror appears on top line when I use go/storage media on knoppix screen which opens when I select [EN]. Sorry I don't know enough to know if this helps. Took a while to figure out but last night I got data to transfer to an external disk, very simple and wonderful once I got it right. Now same external disk is rejected for ntfs unclean error. Beats me.

Maybe a download for Data Recovery Knoppix 5.1 helps you?

Keep asking and looking trying every option. Good two days of trial and error for me. 'ntfs unclean' I fixed by running windows chkdsk on the external drive thanks to a post here. Then I had 'write only' on all drives! Fixed that through changing permissions somewhere. If anyone has clear instructions how to just get it up and running and transferring data, I'd sure appreciate a link. If not, think I'll try to learn more and write some. With instruction it ought to be a breeze. Books I had addressed no issue of use to me. BASIC do this, do that sure could have been helpful. Hard when you don't even know what mount means, never mind how. Keep going. I sypathize. recovery can be done and it's worth it. Finally I can say so. Make really sure you have got ALL files you want and need before reinstalling. Persistence pays.