Thread: USB boot - how do I make localization settings permanent?

USB boot - how do I make localization settings permanent?

I'd like to do the following:

• Change my timezone (my hardware clock is set to UTC, so Knoppix has to know this and modify the time appropriately)
    • Change my keyboard layout to pl (Polish)

I seem to be able to change these settings, but having them stay that way between boots is another matter entirely. Would appreciate some help with this

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rozoweskarpetki View Post
    I'd like to do the following:

• Change my timezone (my hardware clock is set to UTC, so Knoppix has to know this and modify the time appropriately)
    • Change my keyboard layout to pl (Polish)

I seem to be able to change these settings, but having them stay that way between boots is another matter entirely. Would appreciate some help with this
    You need what is called persistent storage - it makes Knoppix perform more like an "installed" OS. Since the title of your post refers to USB, I'll assume you've already used the flash-install option; are you able to choose the flash device on boot? If not, you can simply boot from the CD and switch to the flash drive by typing as follows at the boot prompt (where the giant penguin logo shows - and use the appropriate storage designator for your system.)
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    If you DID already create the persistent store, its presence will cause you to be prompted to supply the password. If not, you will be prompted to create an encrypted persistent store which will be used to hold configuration changes, programs, and /home, etc. Substitute the storage designator of your device, and be prepared to supply a password you won't forget for the new store or write it down, as AES encryption is not casually broken, nor is the password otherwise recoverable.

Hope that helps!
    Krishna