Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot live cd Knoppix 6.2

Question Unable to boot live cd Knoppix 6.2

I have downloaded and created the disks to load Knoppix - both the DVD and the Live CD. When I try to boot either of these disks, both get to the same point and stop. I get 'Searching' and 'Waiting' messages with what appear to be disk addresses like /dev/sr0 and others. They go by so fast I can't read them. Both eventually end with the same message -
    could not mount disk to /mnt-system Starting debugging shell

I have found posts that imply the cd/dvd burn was bad. In my case, the cd/dvd will boot in 3 other pc's and boot up. Other cd's - UBCD and Fedora and windows - read just fine. The disks are good. The dvd reader is good. I have determined that valid devices are /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, and /dev/sda1. The first 2 are dvdrw and dvdrom. The other is the hard drive I want to install Knoppix on. What do I do next in the debugging shell to figure out what is wrong?
    Thanks, Vince Radice

Senior Member registered user
    sounds like a high speed burn, or bad download, if you have not checked the MD5 do so, here is how.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...O_CD_images.3F
    yes it is important, I have even had a Torrent download corrupted.

also i would try burning the disk at lowest speed you can, yes it frequently does make the difference.
    To give you the why means we will need to go into how CD and DVD disks are made and how they work together with how the filesystem works, waaay of topic and VERY technical, let us just accept it.

another common thing is bad compatability between disk and burner, not as frequent as it once was but...

I have tried the same Cd/DVD in 3 other pcs and both boot fine and run. Other CDs will run in this pc. The Media is good. The drives are good.

What can I run in the debugging window that will tell me what is wrong?

I have looked at the cheat codes, tried some, same result.

uhm, as I said that it works in 100 computers only mean that the disk is a marginal burn that can be read in a "good" reader, it is frequent reply on this forum when we say it might be a "bad disk", and when the poor burn/image is replaced it suddenly works.
    try burning it slow and pleeeeese check the MD5sum, before you do that we STILL have two possible faults that have these precise symptoms.
    the third is a bad drive and there are others that are unlikely.

EDIT
    also a "bad" burn is slower that it should sometimes marginally sometimes crawling
    /EDIT
    Last edited by OErjan; 04-14-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Tried 6.2.1 or 6.3?
    There is a remote possibility the trouble is hardware-related, though I too have Oerjan's suggestion as my first guess. I had kernel trouble with 6.2.

Still having problems

I took the dvd drive and the hd out of the pc and put them into a different pc. I used the dvd that I had been using and I was able to install Knoppix onto the hd. I booted several times and ran for a while. I then took the dvd drive and the hd and put them back into the original pc. When I tried to boot, it failed. I got the following messages:
    error: Driver 'pata_platform' is already registered, aborting
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

I booted UBCD and ran memory check for about 4 hours with no errors.

Memory is OK.
    DVD drive is OK
    DVD is OK.

What now? I have tried mounting the dvd drive, the hd, the floppy drive. All returned error - invalid option. Could there be a BIOS option I need to change? Is there a log created during initalization that I can somehow get at? I would realy hate having to leave it running windows because I can't get a Linux system loaded.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vhradice View Post
    I took the dvd drive and the hd out of the pc and put them into a different pc. I used the dvd that I had been using and I was able to install Knoppix onto the hd. I booted several times and ran for a while. I then took the dvd drive and the hd and put them back into the original pc. When I tried to boot, it failed. I got the following messages:

I booted UBCD and ran memory check for about 4 hours with no errors.

Memory is OK.
    DVD drive is OK
    DVD is OK.

What now? I have tried mounting the dvd drive, the hd, the floppy drive. All returned error - invalid option. Could there be a BIOS option I need to change? Is there a log created during initalization that I can somehow get at? I would realy hate having to leave it running windows because I can't get a Linux system loaded.
    What I hear you saying is that the DVD itself and the DVD drive, plus the HD work fine in another system. Sounds like the original system has a hardware problem; I just got through sending my stepson's motherboard back to ASUS for a similar issue, and they replaced a couple of chips and his boot problem went away. Sorry to say it, but maybe you can get a working system under warranty, too.

Hope this helps!
    Krishna

It's an older Dell and out of warranty. Windows runs just fine. So I don't think the mb is bad. I would like some help trying to figure out what Knoppix is trying to do at this point. Hdparm -i works fine and responds with what seems like valid info on the dvd drive, the cd drive and the hd drive. I have tried to mount the devices but all come back with an error. Fdisk lists all of the partitions on the hd. I have tried the cheatcode 'Debug' but that only works until I get the error. Is there a log created by default? If not, is there a way to force one to be created? Do the developers look at this forum? If not, is there a way to bring this to their attention? I would like to get this system working so my grand kids can use it and not mine. Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vhradice View Post
    It's an older Dell and out of warranty. Windows runs just fine. So I don't think the mb is bad. I would like some help trying to figure out what Knoppix is trying to do at this point. Hdparm -i works fine and responds with what seems like valid info on the dvd drive, the cd drive and the hd drive. I have tried to mount the devices but all come back with an error. Fdisk lists all of the partitions on the hd. I have tried the cheatcode 'Debug' but that only works until I get the error. Is there a log created by default? If not, is there a way to force one to be created? Do the developers look at this forum? If not, is there a way to bring this to their attention? I would like to get this system working so my grand kids can use it and not mine. Thanks
    I highly recommend re-burning; re-writable media may be better, and slower speed, too. If you have a marginal DVD drive, and a marginal power supply, that would explain it. Another option is to try a different DVD drive in the system, perhaps an external one, or even a different power supply. Sometimes the BIOS will have an option to check the hardware, e.g. power supply voltages. You can also boot on a different system and do an install to a flash drive or to the hard drive in question. However, if it's to be a system your grandkids can boot and use without having any troubles left after they shut down, install may not be the way to go, and on older BIOS, boot-from-flash can be an issue.

Hope that helps!
    Krishna
    p.s. Developers won't be involved in this fix - it's clearly something in your hardware, or the DVD media.

I tried to install on a different system. Please see post #6. I tried a different dvd drive.
    Here are the messages received when trying to boot:

BIOS will not allow boot from flash. I agree that it is probably something in the hardware, but what?

Is the mount command fully functional at this point during the boot process?

Is there a log file being created at this point during the boot process?

Is there any way to get more information out during the failed mount commands?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast