Thread: Turning My Machine Off

Senior Member registered user

Turning My Machine Off

HI;

I bought a new computer in March. It came with power management and a new kind of bios where the software takes care of turning the machine off:

"Intel Desktop Board D845PESV"....this is also the name of the chipset.

Since this motherboard was so brand new the latest greatest Knoppix of the time woult turn the machine off, it would only power down Knoppix.

I saw in the "News" forum that the latest, greatest Knoppix 3.2 6/6/2003 has apm.

I had a friend download it for me. I tried it running from my cdrom. It is still not shutting my machine off.

Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Have you tried this:

shutdown -h now

or this:

halt

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Have you tried this:

shutdown -h now

or this:

halt
    Both

Steve

> Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

--No.

--Actually you could try poking around in the BIOS and see if there's a "compatibility mode" but realistically there probably won't be a way for the software to do this until the kernel is updated for the chipset.

--I'm used to shutting my machines down manually for the most part anyway; the few that *do* power down are a nice bonus - but I *really* hate the ones where you have to hold the stupid switch for like 10 seconds. It's easier to just unplug the idiot thing. (This is where having a power strip with individual switches comes in handy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    > Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

--No.

--Actually you could try poking around in the BIOS and see if there's a "compatibility mode" but realistically there probably won't be a way for the software to do this until the kernel is updated for the chipset.

--I'm used to shutting my machines down manually for the most part anyway; the few that *do* power down are a nice bonus - but I *really* hate the ones where you have to hold the stupid switch for like 10 seconds. It's easier to just unplug the idiot thing. (This is where having a power strip with individual switches comes in handy.)
    Thats what I thought.

Someday I will recompile my kernel when I am ready.

Steve

Re: Turning My Machine Off

Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    I saw in the "News" forum that the latest, greatest Knoppix 3.2 6/6/2003 has apm.

I had a friend download it for me. I tried it running from my cdrom. It is still not shutting my machine off.

Is there something I can adjust so that it can shut my machine off. A cheat code perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    I am curious to know. When you boot the 6-6-03 release is there any indication that apm is working or enabled? When I boot that release it tells me "apm BIOS detected starting apmd". I'm just wondering really what the exact problem is- does it not recognize your BIOS as apm capable OR is the enhanced functionality of that BIOS causing the problem or.......?? I have Linux currently running on 4 machines none of which have issues powering down. You say halt and they halt. Of course I don't have anything anywhere new around here. :P

Re: Turning My Machine Off

I gave Knoppix 6/6/03 a fresh run from the cdrom.

I didn't see any messages that mentioned apm or apci.

The guy at the computer store told me that intel is phasing out the bios and depending on the OS to take over those duties.

The motherboard I have is in the first stages of that transition in leaving power manaagement up to the OS.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom

Thanks in advance

Steve
    I am curious to know. When you boot the 6-6-03 release is there any indication that apm is working or enabled? When I boot that release it tells me "apm BIOS detected starting apmd". I'm just wondering really what the exact problem is- does it not recognize your BIOS as apm capable OR is the enhanced functionality of that BIOS causing the problem or.......?? I have Linux currently running on 4 machines none of which have issues powering down. You say halt and they halt. Of course I don't have anything anywhere new around here. :P