Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic help for beginners

For security reasons: don't use Knoppix as your operating system!
    What knoppix like distro would you recommend? Seems like a lot of work on a distro, if it isn't to be used.

I never use Knoppix as a hard drive install with the possible exception
    of using 0wn as a means to the end of re-mastering.
    For security reasons: don't use Knoppix as your operating system!
    Let me first say that the authors of the above quotes know a lot more about linux and knoppix than I do.

However, it is hard to pick the right distribution. My first pick is ubuntu 11.10, but alas while 11.04 runs on both my laptop and my desktop, 11.10 does not run on my desktop for unknown reasons. Knoppix 6.7.1 runs on both as well as an old pre-windows XP PC that I have.

I've ordered disks and at least given a cursory look at the following distros:

utuntu 11.04 and 11.10
    knoppix 6.7 and 6.7.1
    AV Linux 5.0 and 5.02
    Zorin OS 5.1 Core
    Puppy Linux 5.2.8
    Linux Mint 12
    openSUSE 12.1
    Debian Live 6.0.3 GNOME
    PC Linux OS Gnome 2010.12
    Bodhi

My search has been shallow, but I have been seriously looking for linux distribution that I can use on an ongoing basis. To knoppix's credit and detriment, at this point, knoppix is my second choice. This is a pretty good complement for knoppix to be 2nd after struggling with installation issues and so far not being able to install standard Firefox or Thunderbird:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...Knoppix-6.7-CD

Also quite the accomplishment for ubuntu 11.10 to be first, given it doesn't even run on my desktop.

My thinking is that I'll keep making progress with knoppix and be able to run the very popular applications while avoiding a lot of stuff I don't need.

The password / security discussion may be beyond me. The 2nd time I installed knoppix I choose the encryption option, which resulted in an encrypted USB drive and a required password - so I might be missing the point of this whole discussion - seems like security to me.

Anyway, if there are other knoppix people that have information on how to get a standard set of popular applications running under knoppix, let's share information:

Standard Firefox and Thunderbird 8 with addons - Google contacts, Lightning, QuickFox Notes, ReminderFox, Address Book Tab, Google Contacts in Tab
    Openshot 1.4 video editor
    KeepNote 0.7.7 (I have this running on knoppix with help from the forum - thank you)
    SpiderOak 4.1.9907 with help from the forum

So far, I've been impressed with knoppix - All my linux work as been done with either CD / DVD or USB boot drives
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-18-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    The password / security discussion may be beyond me. The 2nd time I installed knoppix I choose the encryption option, which resulted in an encrypted USB drive and a required password - so I might be missing the point of this whole discussion - seems like security to me.
    The encryption option of persistent memory is only useful in case of stealed computer. During use of Knoppix all is decrypted and you have no security against attacks over WAN or LAN.

Senior Member registered user

For the LXDE aspects of Knoppix:

There is an excellent compendium of LXDE facts presented by Doug Willett,
    a Linux Mint forum moderator, at: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html

If you have LXDE questions for Doug, you can reach him as 'seppalta' on the
    Mint/LXDE forum at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=175

I use Windows XP on my desktop and Winodws 7 on my laptop. I've been working off and on for over a year and a half with various linux distros. I have a CD file with lots of distros and my 92 posts in this forum show the challenges that I've posted. Tonight, I reviewed again booting some of the other distros.

I'm not at the point of being able to switch to just linux, but knoppix is the distro that I keep coming back to.

If other windows users users have ended up at a different place, please post your experience - but then, I guess you wouldn't be in this forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12