Thread: Missing hard drive icons

Angry Missing hard drive icons

I recently downloaded Knoppix and it ran successfully. However, when I tried to copy files from my PC hard disk to a USB hard disk the files would not copy or move. Thinking it was a download problem and having tried several versions I sent for a disk from the states. Disappointingly this produces the same result. Help on the net suggests that the read/write option for the target disk needs to be changed and instructs the user to right click on the disk icon on the desktop to produce a menu to achieve the reset of the read/write option. Alas there are no disk icons displayed on the desktop. The disks are visible when using the file manager. Can anyone help me please?

Moderator Moderator
    Did you first click the USB drive icon in the left panel in PCman, before the copy attempt? That should automatically mount the drive read-write, which will then allow the copy.

Cheers!
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Did you first click the USB drive icon in the left panel in PCman, before the copy attempt? That should automatically mount the drive read-write, which will then allow the copy.

Cheers!
    Krishna

Thanks Krishna. I will try this option

Unhappy

The suggestion didn't make any difference. All drives are shown as mounted. Any further suggestions please. Regards John

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansman View Post
    The suggestion didn't make any difference. All drives are shown as mounted. Any further suggestions please. Regards John
    Not sure - what do you mean "shown as mounted"? Can you see files on the drive/partition? Have you right-clicked the drive in the list on the left and then clicked "mount"?

Yours Truly!
    Krishna