Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pcmanfm won't mount drives after udev upgrade

Senior Member registered user

pcmanfm won't mount drives after udev upgrade

I upgraded udev to unstable version and after the upgrade I had faster system start, but the drive mounting problem appeared. Drives show properly in pcmanfm but when I try to mount them a message appears saying "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Unknown.Failure " . THis massage appears twice followed by another saying there is no mount point.
    The funny thing is that if I plug in usb flash drive, pcmanfm mounts it properly and after mounting the flash drive all drives mount just fine.
    I downgraded udev and everything works fine again. I am just curious about the interaction between hal and udev and if there is any fix to this problem

I will try to renew this thread. Did anyone successfully managed to upgrade udev without any side effects ?
    What I noticed after upgrading udev is that the system boots much faster, but some of the rules in /etc/udev/ are not followed. For example knoppix-post.rules which invokes rebuildfstab and generates all the fstab entries is not executed, fstab is not regenerated anymore and pcmanfm is not even using it after upgrade. It mounts only on mtab.
    I am sure there is some scripts which gets broken after this upgrade, but I can not figure which one is it

I vaguely remember having this problem with when using pcmanfm. But I was at that moment, probably attributing it to pcmanfm than udev. I have this tendency to blame pcmanfm for any misbehaviour. Haha.

But now I am using pcmanfm 0.97, and udev version 151-2 ( it was once upon the time the current unstable version). I don't have any of those problems. So I can't say too much about yours because my environment is different. My feedback is non-benchmark.

My working version is 151-2 as well, I am talking about upgrading to 160-1. What would happen if you upgrade

Cool. I will upgrade it and see.

I upgraded and did a quick test, it did not give any problem. I could mount almost anything using pcmanfm2. As far as I know, pcmanfm2 does not use 'hal' anymore - that's one of the reasons why the author wanted to write the upgrade.

Thanks a lot kl522 this is useful to know. If I don't find a solution I might have to upgrade to pcmanfm2. I did want to wait a while longer though.

@ kl522

Did you upgrade only udev package or libudev0 and libgudev-1.0-0 as well.
    Udev is not dependent on them, but they are part of udev.
    I installed pcmanfm2 and it still could not mount with the new udev installed. If you did not update those 2 packages and you decide to do it please back up your system.I don't want to be responsible
    Last edited by mecho; 07-26-2010 at 09:23 AM.

When I selected udev 160.1, synaptic select libudev0 for me too. 'libgudev-1.0-0' was not selected, so it currently stays at 151-2. I upgrade quite frequently, i know how to deal with the worse case. Don't worry. Worse case I just clean the system portion of the persistent store then I will be back at the last point when I re-mastered.

You pcmanfm2 unable to mount thing, I believe is due to pcmanfm2 does not handle dependencies too well, basically it needs a few other things to be installed or re-installed. Probably it's the gvfs thingie, but I am not so sure. I can't help you too much here but I can only tell you pcmanfm2 is now working just right for me.

@mecho

In regard to your very first post #1,
    I believe the 'org.freedesktop' messages are related
    to what are called a PolicyKit errors. See Wikipedia.

I've run across these in the context of PCManFM and Network Manager.
    I believe they represent a 'notification' about a user going
    beyond his 'authorization' to do something, like 'sudo' or
    'iwconfig' or something like that.

How you adjust or adjust-to these notifications I haven't
    found out yet, but it may be the 'coming thing'. I hope it won't
    be as bothersome as SElinux.

Let us know if you figure it all out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast