Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: turn off compiz fusion

Banned
    While I like Compiz sometimes, I find that enabling it by default is a bit extra. May be it's better to make it as a boot option, similar to Adriane?

If you used UNetbootin to create a bootable USB you can edit syslinux.cfg in the USB root to permanently disable Compiz:

Code:
    default menu.c32
    prompt 0
    menu title UNetbootin
    timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
    menu label Default
    kernel /ubnkern
    append initrd=/ubninit ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime no3d

Member registered user
    Knoppix 7.0.5 lets me turn off compiz fusion by going to /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE and delete the "config" file, but I also had to go into the desktop.conf file and edit the "window_manager" under "[Session]" to read as "window_manager=kde" instead of "window_manager=compiz --replace" (all without the quotation marks). I used the "vi" editor to do this. You'll love "vi" when you learn to use it! I also needed to click the logout button and then let it log me back in automatically before the editing that I did would take effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    If after boot you still get compiz - delete the file /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config

All this is assuming that you run knoppix from usb with persistent data file.If run from cd, there is no way of changing it apart from remastering

Howto

Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    You have two options
    1. To include the no3d cheatcode in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg -place it in the the line that loads your knoppix - adrian or knoppix or both.

2.Second option is to use openbox instead of compiz and metacity by editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf the line window_manager=compiz should be window_manager=openbox-lxde.

I would personally recommend the second option.It gives you a good control over the looks and you get rid of this annoying compiz for good.
    Hey, please donīt mind me for stupid questions. But I am a Knoppix newbie.
    So how do I change the Desktopconf that I am allowed to change and save it? If I try to change the access rights to "everyone" it says : Operation disallowed.

Thank you

Chris

Moderator Moderator
    Only root is allowed to edit this file.
    Use Knoppix menu => Run
    Type within this new window
    Code:
    gksu leafpad
    and you'll get an editor with root-privileges.

good afternoon
    This is not a solution but "a new problem". I tried this cheatcode and then got too much problems
    on my laptop_Knoppix_DVD_7.2 (1G0 Memory)
    AND principaly 7.0 which never boot now because a screen problem: PERMANENTLY!!!! even when after having burnt a new DVD.
    I prefer the 7.0 which seems lighter and faster than the 7.2 on MY laptop.
    Moreover I observe that the 7.2 (which is good however) is not a so "perfect Multi_Tasks" as the previous versions...on MY laptop
    I shoud not recomment this cheat code.and some others
    good bye
    knp

Moderator Moderator
    I shoud not recomment this cheat code.and some others
    These Cheatcodes which you doesn't recommend are the official cheatcodes by K Knopper.

Please tell us in detail which problems you've got using "knoppix no3d".

"3D cheatcode"

good afternoon.

Indeed this cheatcode is the official one: that is not the problem. I want only give a warning.Surely the cheatcodes cannot resolve all problems depending on the so much different "materials". I precised it concerns essentially my laptop. My problems after "no3D" even after getting new dvd's from a university of the Netherlands are essentially:

1- DVD 7.0 while booting stops systematically anywhere else between the "root@microknoppix:...#" and the "pinguin" with sometimes(only) the message:"cannot read "text". Once I got rid of this by choosing another "desktop cheatcode.But all stopped when trying to choose a "country"

2- Testdvd for 7.0 AND 7.2 stops with the same message "cannot read text".

3- Testing the memory with 7.2 gives bad results by stopping.

Does-it exist an independant program for testing th memory? The old DVD's went very well before "no3D" BUT... and But...:

a- The new 7.2 boots well now (sometimes after some tentatives if not the program used at the first!). IT is not a "BIOS" problem

b- Even the 7.0 boots well WHEN USING an USB drive...which is not so easy if I am on a hurry (even if I prefer 7.0!).

SUSPICION: Perhaps a bad transmission of informations about my INTERNAL DVD drive?

I insist that happened only after "no3D" which I shall never use more on my laptop as long as I do not have a good understanding of the real problem

Thanks knp

--------------------------------
    Use double "new line" for new section.

You can use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.

If "noscript" (within Iceweasel/Firefox) is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities. Do not use Chrome/Chromium!
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 07-23-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: make posting readable

Moderator Moderator
    Per default the cheatcode "no3d" is off! Nobody forces you to use it. Boot your Knoppix without this cheatcode and be happy.

But it seems one or more parts of your hardware is broken.

Thanks you Mr Schulz. I think almost so perhaps but all goes well a part this "problem"
    knp

Hmmm ... In my experience, the primary "function" of knoppix is as a tool to quickly boot up a collection of testing and repair software. But I've seen a number of cases where it seemed reasonable to also install it in a machine, typically a server, so that machine also functions as an independent testing station whose CD/DVD drive isn't permanently "unusable" because it's the boot drive.

In any case, I've been trying to figure out what to do with a "latest" 14.04 knoppix CD that I ordered, the 32-bit version for some older hardware being repurposed as servers, but found that it's unusable because it brings up compiz, which totally saturates the CPU, and produces a 10-20-sec delay after typing a key or clicking a mouse button before anything happens on the screen. It's unusable for its primary function as a quick-boot CD for test/repair jobs.

Now the puzzle is how to correctly order a "latest" CD that is actually usable. It's turning out to be a bit confusing, following links around, and trying to figure out whether a specific CD actually contains the lightweight, fast version of things like the window manager, etc. I've even stumbled across warnings to stay away from the 14.04 releases, for exactly this sort of reason.

Is there a good discussion of this somewhere, with advice on what CDs/DVDs/USBs/etc/ currently contain the most usable packages right now?

(I do like to order CDs or DVDs, since that gives the packagers a bit of money for their efforts. But I've wasted a few weeks of time trying to discover which ones now contain software that will work on some of our older boxes. One of the useful linux niches is repurposing all the free "cast-off" boxes that no longer run Windows after too many forced upgrades, but work just fine as linux servers. I've helped a number of public-service orgs do this, for example. But releases of linux that defeat this valuable usage with stuff like compiz sorta throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast