Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turn off compiz fusion

Hybrid View

turn off compiz fusion

I hate this compiz fusion crap. I know you can use the 'knoppix no3d' on live boot but where do you save this cheatcode so that compiz fusin is permanently disable?

yes, the 3d effects are a bit much, I turned them off. The question isn't about the cheat code, its about storage, and unless youre using flash/HDD install, which allows them to be turned off under Menu-Preferances -CompiZConfig Settings Manager and saved as Persistent data, then itll take re-burning a CD with code changes, or writing a prompt into the F2 or F3 files. The last 2 arent exercises for beginners.

Senior Member registered user
    You have two options
    1. To include the no3d cheatcode in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg -place it in the the line that loads your knoppix - adrian or knoppix or both.

2.Second option is to use openbox instead of compiz and metacity by editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf the line window_manager=compiz should be window_manager=openbox-lxde.

I would personally recommend the second option.It gives you a good control over the looks and you get rid of this annoying compiz for good.

Howto

Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    You have two options
    1. To include the no3d cheatcode in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg -place it in the the line that loads your knoppix - adrian or knoppix or both.

2.Second option is to use openbox instead of compiz and metacity by editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf the line window_manager=compiz should be window_manager=openbox-lxde.

I would personally recommend the second option.It gives you a good control over the looks and you get rid of this annoying compiz for good.
    Hey, please donīt mind me for stupid questions. But I am a Knoppix newbie.
    So how do I change the Desktopconf that I am allowed to change and save it? If I try to change the access rights to "everyone" it says : Operation disallowed.

Thank you

Chris

If after boot you still get compiz - delete the file /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config

All this is assuming that you run knoppix from usb with persistent data file.If run from cd, there is no way of changing it apart from remastering
    Last edited by mecho; 05-23-2010 at 06:50 AM.

turn off compiz fusion

Am told that when u boot from live disc, use the cheatcode 'knoppix no3d' then install knoppix. The cheatcode will remain. Somebody try it out and let us know the outcome.

I see no reason why I would want to install Knoppix on my hard drive. If I want to do that I would get a full Debian distro. Knoppix is specifically designed to be run as live CD or USB - that's it's strength

Hmmm ... In my experience, the primary "function" of knoppix is as a tool to quickly boot up a collection of testing and repair software. But I've seen a number of cases where it seemed reasonable to also install it in a machine, typically a server, so that machine also functions as an independent testing station whose CD/DVD drive isn't permanently "unusable" because it's the boot drive.

In any case, I've been trying to figure out what to do with a "latest" 14.04 knoppix CD that I ordered, the 32-bit version for some older hardware being repurposed as servers, but found that it's unusable because it brings up compiz, which totally saturates the CPU, and produces a 10-20-sec delay after typing a key or clicking a mouse button before anything happens on the screen. It's unusable for its primary function as a quick-boot CD for test/repair jobs.

Now the puzzle is how to correctly order a "latest" CD that is actually usable. It's turning out to be a bit confusing, following links around, and trying to figure out whether a specific CD actually contains the lightweight, fast version of things like the window manager, etc. I've even stumbled across warnings to stay away from the 14.04 releases, for exactly this sort of reason.

Is there a good discussion of this somewhere, with advice on what CDs/DVDs/USBs/etc/ currently contain the most usable packages right now?

(I do like to order CDs or DVDs, since that gives the packagers a bit of money for their efforts. But I've wasted a few weeks of time trying to discover which ones now contain software that will work on some of our older boxes. One of the useful linux niches is repurposing all the free "cast-off" boxes that no longer run Windows after too many forced upgrades, but work just fine as linux servers. I've helped a number of public-service orgs do this, for example. But releases of linux that defeat this valuable usage with stuff like compiz sorta throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Administrator Site Admin-
    jc1742:

I too use Live CD including Knoppix mainly as tools. Sometimes for recovering files from a crashed system. Sometimes just as safe and secure browsing tools when I am concerned about exposing my primary system. Sometimes booting very focused network related live discs such as Backtrack. I'm not sure though why one would want to actually install a live disc like Knoppix rather than simply install Debian. I've been using Knoppix long enough to remember the days when a Debian install was painful; one had to record in painful detail a lot of information about their system down to even Interrupt addresses and memory addresses used, start the Debian install and then usually abort it and restart Windows when some setting was asked for that wasn't in extensive notes. Unfortunately I never saw any tool that could record ALL of that stuff automatically before starting a Debian install. When Knoppix came out it certainly proved that a program could determine those things for itself. People complained that if Knoppix could do that why couldn't the Debian installer? They even came up with some crude ways to "install" Knoppix, some of which Klaus even included in the CDs, although he cautioned that they were only intended for special cases such as classroom installs. That was a caution that many frustrated users ignored.

Debian got much better. A Debian install is now cleaner than a Knoppix install and doesn't suffer from the mixture of different versions that frequently causes problems in Knoppix when installing and updating. Of course it doesn't suffer from the bloat of a lot of extra packages that will never be used, and you can easily install any package that is included in Knoppix. I would welcome if you could explain to me any reason why you think rational people are still installing Knoppix over Debian, beyond the "mother duck" principle.

As to buying Knoppix discs, as far as I know, all people who offer these discs are or at least should be providing exactly the same software built from the same ISO file. That includes those who advertise here and provide a very small support back to Knoppix.net in return for the advertising. None of that income gets back to Klaus or the people who help him build the releases.
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 08-29-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo fixes
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    If after boot you still get compiz - delete the file /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config

All this is assuming that you run knoppix from usb with persistent data file.If run from cd, there is no way of changing it apart from remastering
    neither deleting config or desktop.conf work. everytime window_manager variable is set to openbox-lxde and then reboot or logout, the variable is restored to compiz. will removing compiz package work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast