Just found Knoppix in the last month thanks to accidentally stumbling upon Christopher Negus' 2009 Linux Bible.. For the most part, I'm completely sold bar none, BUT....

Experienced some really bad user shock over the weekend when I loaded my brand new 6.2.1 CD minutes after finding it in the mailbox (thanks, OSDisc!).. Speaking from a cognitive point of view, the visual difference in the two versions which, for all intents and purposes, appear to be no more or not much more than ~two years apart was..

"Phenomenal"..

Which unfortunately translates into REALLY frustrating when you're speaking from the experiences of someone with degenerating cognitive issues.. It goes to the top of the list regarding a product's Usability, Accessibility......

This whole past weekend as I had to relearn maneuvering through KNOPPIX again soley with respect to getting around the programs just two, three weeks'ish after discovering Knoppix at all, it continuously crossed my Mind that too regular a similar upheaval in the [GUI] in each subsequently upgraded version would be a huge turnoff to those less technically savvy.. Similar visual upheavals could literally drive potential new users away before they even get started..

Knoppix is just *too cool*, has such a *neat* interface when one figures it out, all I can say in reaction is.. just..

PLEASE don't do to do that *if it can be helped at all*..!

Make visual changes that should be apparent with each improved version just so it actually "feels" different because they are actually anticipated by some (many..?), yes, but please don't completely reinvent the wheel just because it's there.. Providing more consistent, conscious continuity in later upgrades will do its own, albeit quiet part, in helping continue to build momentum to where people one day first and foremost have this one name, Knoppix, on the tip of their tongues and Fingertips whenever Linux comes to Mind.. The other amazing bells and whistles that also come with will obviously do the rest..

Just thinking out loud.. Thanks so much for the space to be able to do so..

Warmest from Talking Rock..

Disclaimer :: Yes, I openly recognize that I may have experienced two completely different creators' visions of Knoppix which would definitely explain what happened.. Still going ahead and throwing out the above anyway since, well, the floor was left open to do so.. Thanks again..
~