Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceweasel spell checker not working

Senior Member registered user

Iceweasel spell checker not working

All spell check options are turned on in preferences and in the right click menu, plus English/Unated States dictionary shows active in the right click, but still I have not red marking of misspelled words. Hunspell is properly installed on my PC-I am not even sure if Iceweasel uses it.
    I searched google extensively on this subject and could not find anything h
    Please help
    Last edited by mecho; 05-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.

PS - I also tried add dictionary and added the English-Unated States dictionary addon. It's still not working. I am begining to think that the dictionary is working, it's just that something prevents the red marking from showing up

UPDATE:

When I right click on misspelled word-iceweasel gives a suggestion in the right click menu. I wonder why it is not underlining the misspelled words. I have no way of knowing which of the words are misspelled

Solved

The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
    If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
    0 = no underlining
    1 = dotted line
    2 = long dots
    3 = single straight line
    4 = double underline

The change takes effect immediately
    Hope this was helpful

Moderator Moderator

New problem

Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    The solution in my case was a missing key in about:config. It is supposed to be there by default, but it is not. Not even after updating iceweasel to 3.6.4. Anyway the solution is:

Open about:config and search for ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle
    If it's there you are fine and you can just check the underline style options. If it's not there - create new integer give it the name ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle and the velues are:
    0 = no underlining
    1 = dotted line
    2 = long dots
    3 = single straight line
    4 = double underline

The change takes effect immediately
    Hope this was helpful
    I checked and found that I had no such key, as well - but I misspelled it when I tried to create the new one! Any tips on how to delete it?

Cheers!
    Krishna

Open ~/.mozila and navigate to your account. With me it is /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/knoppix

All custom preferences are stored in prefs.js

Find the line with the misspelled key and just delete it. You must do this with ICEWEASEL CLOSED. Otherwise changes won't take effect and the key will just be recreated.
    You can edit all keys right in prefs.js with browser closed
    Better use copy and paste when you create a key. No chance of misspelled words.

Solved

Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
    But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    Just to clarify the issue - the default setting for firefox spell checker is the curvy line which is ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle value=5
    But iceweasel can not display the curvy line for some reason, at least on my instalation. The key ui.SpellCheckerUnderlineStyle is not in prefs.js, because value 5 is applied by default. So I had to insert the key in order to change the underlining and have it working with values 1 to 4 which are displayed properly.
    Right. I tried inserting it, too, but misspelled it. Anybody know how to get rid of it?

Krishna

I wrote to you how to get rid of it in my previous messages. Just scroll up

@mecho

Many thanks for this idea.
    I'd always had this feature by default in most other installations.
    Was hesitant at first going to Mozilla for the add-on, but no problems there.
    I can give up the wiggly underline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast