Thread: Remastering: removing VirtualBox

Remastering: removing VirtualBox

I am remastering Knoppix and I want to remove all unnecessary packages. Problem is that, when I removing virtualbox-ose package using dpkg from chroot environment, it fails, because script cannot stop vbox kernel module, or smth like this. Of cource, it cannot, because my kernel does not contain this module, it is in Knoppix kernel, I think.
    Does anybody know, how can I remove vbox module from Knoppix kernel and cheat removing script? Or, may be, there is another way to remove Virtual Box from Knoppix CD?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    I am remastering Knoppix and I want to remove all unnecessary packages. Problem is that, when I removing virtualbox-ose package using dpkg from chroot environment, it fails, because script cannot stop vbox kernel module, or smth like this. Of cource, it cannot, because my kernel does not contain this module, it is in Knoppix kernel, I think.
    Does anybody know, how can I remove vbox module from Knoppix kernel and cheat removing script? Or, may be, there is another way to remove Virtual Box from Knoppix CD?
    Perhaps it would have been best to remove that package first, before modifying the kernel. Probably the fastest way to do this would be to use "insmod" to put that module back in, then remove the package as you described, and then remove the kernel module again. You could also use the original kernel module to do that work (and any other removals), then switch back to your customized kernel again before you finalize your re-mastered system.

Cheers!
    Krishna