Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
130 GB is already slow, I can't imagine having a 1 TB ext3 file system !

As I am writing, I did a small mod to my minirt.gz to support ext4. I think it is about time it should do that.
Very interesting if we could use ext4 - but I found that time-wise, 8GB persistent is quite OK. And I really don't think we need more when remastering. We definitely need more than 4 for upgrades and new installs, but using 8GB after remastering, we can do an awful lot of things.

Very much to my surprise, DVD remastering, mostly following Forester's procedure, succeeded at the first try. Of course not perfectly, as I tried out alternatives and got a few things somewhat wrong. And the compressed KNOPPIX image was only 3.2 GB, with Oracle XE 10g and a lot of R packages installed. Removed a few games etc - there seems to be ample room for things like vmware workstation and a couple of servers - in fact, the USB VFAT stick concept could be enough for most uses.

I had 4GB RAM and 10 GB swap - clearly enough. And, according to top, the I5-430M ran at 370% CPU during compression, indicating that create_compressed_fs parallelized nicely.