Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knoppix Live USB wont boot

Senior Member registered user
    OK from what you have described, it seems the problem is due to knoppix-data.img is grown to totally filled up and it makes KNOPPIX un-fit for the next boot. Not sure how much knoppix can do about this but perhaps a check can be done before shutdown.

Nevertheless, for the more proficient users, this problem can be fixed by booting into 'debug' shell, loop mount knoppix-data.img and free up space. It should not need a re-wipe to clean up everything :-

1. Add the cheatcode 'debug' into syslinux.cfg.
    2. Boot the computer.
    3. At the shell prompt :-
    # mkdir /tmp/tmp
    # mount -o loop=/dev/loop7 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img /tmp/tmp
    # cd /tmp/tmp
    ..... ( start to free up space below this directory, be-warned not to remove your important files )
    # cd /
    # umount -d /tmp/tmp
    4. After that type 'exit' 6 times.
    You will be booting correctly if you have freed up enough space.
    5. Remove cheatcode 'debug' from syslinux.cfg,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Not sure how much knoppix can do about this but perhaps a check can be done before shutdown.
    A better solution will be for the init script (inside minirt.gz) to check the available space. If there is insufficient for a proper boot, it should ***SKIP*** mounted knoppix-data.img and give the user a chance to recover from it, instead of such a total failure !

@krishna.murphy

re #7 My bad; 'persistent store' is probably the correct terminology.

I note that UNIONFS comes up exactly the maximum size of my usb when things are ok.
    I suspect that the img corruption problem at shut-down may exist for any size of usb.

@kl522

re #7 I can confirm that in my case UNIONFS _does_ under some circumstances grow
    at run time. du -h UNIONFS shows it tried to grow past my 4Gs of ram.
    System is obviously crippled, and writing this crippled UNIONFS back to the data image
    I think sets up an unrecoverable situation.

I found that when I found UNIONFS was in trouble, I tried yanking the usb and doing
    a power-off-switch shutdown. The usb was still
    intact for a later satisfactory boot-up. Probably missing any updates from the prior
    session, but at least intact, not crippled.

re#12 I agree that not over-writing the prior good image is the correct way to go.
    I need to find out how I'm causing the UNIONFS to grow. Probably some operations
    are off-limits, but I don't know which. I've used updatedb and apt-get, also tried
    to download some flash add-ons for iceweasel.

@HJWitchella

1. Did you make your own usb or buy it already programmed?
    2. Either way, did it load the first time or never?

We need a few more clues.

re #13

Tried updatedb, apt-get and adding flash to iceweasel again. No problems.
    I'm sure there are ways to crash Knoppix, just not when you want to.

I guess the lesson is, if the mounted system doesnt seem quite right,
    don't shutdown before checking to see if du -h UNIONFS is equal to or less than
    the size of your usb. If it is larger, don't try to shutdown normally, but rather
    yank the usb and power-off (to save the previous boot image intact).

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @krishna.murphy

re #7 My bad; 'persistent store' is probably the correct terminology.

I note that UNIONFS comes up exactly the maximum size of my usb when things are ok.
    I suspect that the img corruption problem at shut-down may exist for any size of usb.
    I don't want to jump to conclusion as to the cause of corruption, nevertheless, KNOPPIX indeed can possibly not umount the file systems properly when shutdown. But I am surprised that no one seems to be bothered about this as I pointed out in some other thread.

@kl522

re #7 I can confirm that in my case UNIONFS _does_ under some circumstances grow
    at run time. du -h UNIONFS shows it tried to grow past my 4Gs of ram.
    System is obviously crippled, and writing this crippled UNIONFS back to the data image
    If you do 'du -h -s /UNIONFS' it can be bigger than your ram size, as I notice it's always the case on my computer. I haven't investigated what's the significance of this. But if you do 'df', you should see that /UNIONFS is always showing the maximum size of your persistent store ( knoppix-image ).

I need to find out how I'm causing the UNIONFS to grow. Probably some operations
    are off-limits, but I don't know which. I've used updatedb and apt-get, also tried
    to download some flash add-ons for iceweasel.
    We need a few more clues.
    Yes, please find a consistent way you could repeat this problem and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    I don't want to jump to conclusion as to the cause of corruption, nevertheless, KNOPPIX indeed can possibly not umount the file systems properly when shutdown. But I am surprised that no one seems to be bothered about this as I pointed out in some other thread.

If you do 'du -h -s /UNIONFS' it can be bigger than your ram size, as I notice it's always the case on my computer. I haven't investigated what's the significance of this. But if you do 'df', you should see that /UNIONFS is always showing the maximum size of your persistent store ( knoppix-image ).

Yes, please find a consistent way you could repeat this problem and report back.
    I think one underlying problem is that Knoppix is not more of a community effort, so bugs are allowed to creep in and stay there too long, because testing and debugging resources are lacking.
    If the uncontrolled growth is because of things like updating, one fix might be to use a second image for that kind of storage. (Doing du --max-depth=3 regularly could give som clue as to the dynamics of space requirements.) I have three images mounted at the time. Another solution is of course to skip FAT32 limitations, but that would be less portable.

What is the image updating strategy of Knoppix? I would not be astonished if writings to disk are minimized, to keep USB sticks alive longer.

Quote Originally Posted by HJWitchella View Post
    when i attempt to boot off live usb i get:

Linux Kernel 2.6.32.6, 2014 MB RAM.
    CPU 0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz @ 800MHz, 512 KB Cache
    CPU 1: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz @ 800MHz, 512 KB Cache
    Knoppix 6 Found at: /dev/sdb1
    >>> Starting in Live-Mode.
    >>> Please do not remove medium until shutdown!
    Using /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
    mount: mounting unionfs on /UNIONFS failed: No space left on device
    /init: line 693: /bin/mount: not found
    /init: exec: line 742: /sbin/init: not found

System is a Dell Inspiron Mini 9. I am trying to install Knoppix onto the mini but run into this error.

Im chiming in WAAAY late to the party here, but I was getting the same error myself. The problem on my machine was caused by conflicting use of uppercase and lowercase in the word "knoppix" (vs. "KNOPPIX") on the USB stick. The stick is formatted by Install KNOPPIX to flash disk with FAT; the problem is that FAT doesn't store case information as rigorously as unix filesystems, so "KNOPPIX" translates to "knoppix"

The way to get around this is to feed knoppix the correct location of the cloop file and knoppix directory by typing at boot the cheatcodes:
    knoppix knoppix_dir=knoppix knoppix_name=knoppix

Hopefully, they build this into the syslinux.cfg next time around.

-Martin D.

A simpler way to recover from "no space left on device" problem - boot from LiveCD

re #11

Hi all! I had the same problem and advice of kl522 helped me but I did something a bit simpler. I booted from LiveCD instead of modifying USB-drive session with cheatcodes.

Just do the following:

1. Boot from LiveCD

2. At the shell prompt type the following commands (please verify that knoppix-data.img is on /media/sdb1/KNOPPIX/ path and change it accordingly in the second command if needed):
    # mkdir /tmp/tmp
    # mount -o loop=/dev/loop7 /media/sdb1/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img /tmp/tmp
    # cd /tmp/tmp
    ..... ( start to free up space below this directory, be-warned not to remove your important files )
    # cd /
    # umount -d /tmp/tmp

Now, I have related question.
    During installing Knoppix from LiveCD to USB-drive I declared that Knoppix should use 350MB of space on USB drive (AFAIR the default was 400MB). I have yet over 600MB of free space on USB so I would like to move up the limit of space that Knoppix uses.
    How can I change this limit, so that Knoppix use more space on my USB? Please advise.
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 11-12-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: User request - correction on path

Look for a different thread in this forum, probably under the heading 'resizing knoppix-data.img'. Or you use 'google' to search for it, I am pretty sure you can find it under google.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12