Hello list,

I’ve a query regarding PXE booting Knoppix 6.2 DVD. As per the forums and documentation, I could create initrd and vmlinuz by running terminal server. I can even boot from that vmlinuz and initrd image ( miniroot.gz ).

But I do see that PXE boot fails to the debug shell with a message saying “Probing Network devices handled by bnx2.ko”. it’s loading bnx2.ko because my on-boards LOMs are Broadcom 5709 based.

By going through the init script inside miniroot.gz, I could see that it’s trying to load bnx2.ko module from modules/net directory inside miniroot.gz and it fails. I edited the below part of script and recreated the miniroot.gz to know what exactly happens while loading bnx2.ko..

# Load nfs modules
NFSMODULES="$(cd /modules/net; echo af_packet.*o sunrpc.*o lockd.*o nfs_acl.*o nfs.*o)"
for i in $NFSMODULES; do
insmod /modules/net/"$i"
done

FOUND_NETWORK=""
message "Loading network device module(s)"
for i in $(cd /modules/net; echo *.*o); do
case "$NFSMODULES" in
*$i*) continue ;;
*)
case "$i" in
00*) ;;
*) message -n "${CRE} ${BLUE}Probing network device(s) handled by ${MAGENTA}$i${BLUE}.${NORMAL}"
FOUND_NETWORK="$i" ;;
esac
insmod /modules/net/"$i" >/dev/null 2>&1 ;; # Edited by KP, removed redirecting to /dev/null
esac
done

Now I can see that while loading bnx2.ko, it’s not able to load bnx2 firmware file. Here is the exact error message.

Bnx2: can’t load firmware file “bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-4.6.16.fw”
Bnx2: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -2
Bnx2: can’t load firmware file “bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-4.6.16.fw”
Bnx2: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -2

But e1000 driver is getting loaded successfully on another system which has Intel NIC and PXE boot is fine by mounting my NFS share where Knoppix is residing.

Have any one experienced on why bnx2 is failing for Knoppix 6.2 when it’s booted from PXE? Note that this is booting up fine from CDROM. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad