Thread: Knoppix 6.2 Boot from PXE

Hybrid View

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by krishnaprasadk View Post
    I had added the firmware files to the initrd. but it doesn't help. i've the files available under lib/firmware/bnx2 and under KNOPPIX and UNIONFS as well.

From the error message it looks like it's not able to load the firmware files??

Thanks much for your help !

- Krishnaprasad
    I think you may need a different firmware file; -mips- part of the name suggests to me that this isn't a Knoppix-compatible driver.

Hope that helps!
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    I think you may need a different firmware file; -mips- part of the name suggests to me that this isn't a Knoppix-compatible driver.

Hope that helps!
    Krishna
    Hi Krishna,

I don't think so because when i boot Knoppix from a CDROM, then the same module gets loaded successfully. and i do see that only this firmware file is available in the entire CD w.r.t bnx2. So that means this firmware file must be loaded while bnx2 bootup. But unfortunately we could not check if the firmware is really loaded to the kernel or not. lsmod doesnt give this info and neither dmesg.

Also the error message says can't load the firmware file bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-4.6.16.fw”

Probably this means while module load ( bnx2.ko ), it's not able to see the firmware file available in initrd or it's not able to load this to kernel because of some other reasons.

Another doubt that i have is, in the case of CDROM bootup, init may be loading this firmware file after mounting the KNOPPIX image to a temporary location. i.e. it may not be getting loaded from initrd.

if that's the case, this can't be implemented in my case because my KNOPPIX image sits in an NFS share and i need network access to mount that NFS share to a temp location...

Thank you all for supporting me in this issue. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Krishnaprasad