Thread: How to boot from DVD on Lenovo IdeaPad laptop?

Hybrid View

Question How to boot from DVD on Lenovo IdeaPad laptop?

I downloaded Knoppix and burned it on a DVD. I have setup boot preference DVD as first option. When I am rebooting my laptop, it's not booting from DVD and goes to Windows vista.

How to boot from DVD now? any help or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by neha View Post
    I downloaded Knoppix and burned it on a DVD. I have setup boot preference DVD as first option. When I am rebooting my laptop, it's not booting from DVD and goes to Windows vista.

How to boot from DVD now? any help or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
    Do you have access to another PC with DVD-boot capability? Try the disk somewhere else and see if it has the same problem. I'm guessing that this is a case of a bad DVD - that happens a lot with Windows burning programs, unfortunately. If it does boot up, the original DVD drive may be marginal and not work with that disk. There is a self-test feature built-in if you can access it - just wait for the big penguin to come onscreen and type in:
    Code:
    knoppix testdvd
    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

Senior Member registered user
    I would also try a boot menu if available on your system. Some systems use F10 or F12 to select the boot order. Your system documentation might have the details, or there may be a message on the screen during the boot.

I would also suggest reading the downloading facts located here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

Pay attention to downloading and burning the iso to disk. Use a slow speed, since faster speeds usually result in poor quality disks. Using poor quality disks in the first place can also result in a poor quality disk. Garbage in-Garbage out!

Senior Member registered user
    I have had a similar problem with Windows 7 on an ASUS UL30VT laptop (no CD/DVD drive there, but using USB). For safe operation, I have to use the boot menu which I on that machine get by pressing ESC at bootup.