Thread: Boot to Compaq Presario

Boot to Compaq Presario

Hello, I am a newbee to both this forum and to Linux. Patience please.
    I am attempting to boot Knoppix Live CD to a Compaq Presario Notebook 1200; Intel 767 (Celeron); RAM 184; 4gb total;250gb available; Windows ME 4.90.30

Situation: Live CD appears to boot, goes through BIOS (I think) then the Penquin shows top left hand corner of black screen then screen goes black and stays black.

Alternative: If Presario cannot accept Live CD boot then I have a Toshiba Satellite with Intel Pentium III 697;RAM 256:total 20gb;XP Pro 2002 that I can try.

Can anyone tell me what's happening with the boot to the Presario?

Oh yes, the CD was ordered ground mail from OSDisc.com, Inc. It was not a download from net.

Any assistance will be appreciated,
    Sky Aisling
    Port Townsend, WA USA

Clarification to my post Boot to Compaq Presario

I mistated the sequence of the activity on the screen.
    First comes a large b/w notice of Knoppix 6 live CD/Adrian begin to load.
    Then comes the bird in the top left hand corner of a black screen.
    Then comes a welcome screen with a load of the Linux Kernel through System Setup starting run level 5; root starting
    Then comes the black screen that never resolves. Am I seeing the back side of the bird?

Sky Aisling

Administrator Site Admin-
    Hi Sky Aisling,

Have you tried a memory test? The symptoms are typical of faulty memory (though the problem could lie elsewhere).

And did it work on the Satellite?

Sometimes faulty CDs cause problems though we haven't seen this particular problem reported as a result of a bad CD. At least you bought it from the right place - OSDisc.com is the company we recommend, and for good reason. In the unlikely event it turns out to be a faulty CD, contact them and they should sort it out. Should you have any dissatisfaction with their service please drop me a PM (though, in all fairness, I don't think you'll need to).

Harry, a moderator on these boards, suggest you to run memtest86 at boot.

The same thing happened with my Compaq Presario V6000

It could be memory but I solved the problem by changing the refresh rate to 60 Hz

On the first screen you get at the bottom you will see
    BOOT:_
    type in knoppix xvrefresh=60

Take a look at this link if you need more info

ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ft...t_details.html

i had the same problem.I think problem is concerning the graphics and the memory card.

Q. Does the Live CD give an ISO, or a bootable disk? Start it with the ISO specification? The front page here indicates to get the CD and burn an image. Ive not used the Live CD to know for sure, just asking.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by daveca View Post
    Q. Does the Live CD give an ISO, or a bootable disk? Start it with the ISO specification? The front page here indicates to get the CD and burn an image. Ive not used the Live CD to know for sure, just asking.
    The ISO that's downloaded is to be burned to a CD (or DVD, if that's in the title of your download.) Once that's done (best done at SLOW speed if using Windows, I think) then you can boot the PC up off the CD/DVD and you'll have a Live-mode CD version of Linux. There are other options, too, such as ordering a disk or a flash-drive-version that can be mailed and then booted. There are also versions of Linux (aka "distros") that are intended for hd installation that are quite similar to Knoppix, i.e. Debian (which is the distribution Knoppix is based on) or Ubuntu (which is also based on Debian); both of those are available as LiveCDs, and Ubuntu installs straight off the Live-mode desktop. You can always extract an ISO-image off of a disk, Live-mode or not, if that's your interest.

Cheers!
    Krishna