Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squashfs-ed knoppix

I have tried myself to squashfs my knoppix cd install on usb and created knoppix.sq but I do not have inirt.gz but a look at syslinux.cfg learned that it used minirt.gz.
    I modified that the way you did in the above post but I somehow messed up pretty badly.
    first there was a syntax error while booting so I reedited the init script and now it's completely screwed up

is someone so kind to share their (m)inirt.gz with me?

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    is someone so kind to share their (m)inirt.gz with me?
    Do you still have available
    a) a working Linux and
    b) Knoppix on the CD you used to install to USB in the first place ?

If so, pop the CD in and mount it under /media/sr0. You should find what you are looking for under /media/sr0/boot/syslinux/minirt.gz.

If the Linux you are running is the Knoppix on you CD, then the CD is already mounted so look under /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/minirt.gz.

in the above post
    Which post ?

forester, look at the previous page of this forum
    yes I have still a working linux install and the original iso file. I want however the modified version that uses squashfs instead of cloop

Senior Member registered user
    yes I have still a working linux install and the original iso file. I want however the modified version that uses squashfs instead of cloop
    Try this :-

http://www.fileserve.com/file/s9TyZW8

The said file is modified from some older version of Knoppix - for my own use - so I do not claim its suitability for general use. I also have other mods for other reasons which you might want to ignore.

kl522, I saw your post a little to late.
    I've been messing around with minirt.gz and I now have a "working" version for 6.4.3
    my mountknoppix is now:
    Code:
    mountknoppix(){
    local k dev dir count=0 RC=0
     [ -b /dev/cloop ] || mknod m 644 /dev/cloop b 240 0
     grep -q squashfs  /proc/filesystems || insmod /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/modules/squashfs.ko || return 4
    grep -q cloop /proc/devices     || insmod /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/modules/cloop.ko preload=32 || return 2
     grep -q aufs  /proc/filesystems || insmod /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/modules/aufs.ko || return 3

if checkbootparam squashfs && [ -f /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].[Ss][Qq] ]
     then 
       mount -o loop=/dev/loop1 /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].sq /KNOPPIX
     elif [ -f /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].[Ss][Qq] -a \
       ! -f /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx] ]
     then
       mount -o loop=/dev/loop1 /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].sq /KNOPPIX
     else
     for k in /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx] \
              /mnt-system/"$knoppix_dir"/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx][0-9]; do
      [ -r "$k" ] || continue
      check_knoppix "$k"
      if [ $count = 0 ]; then
       dev=/dev/cloop ; dir=/KNOPPIX
      else
       dev=/dev/cloop$count ; dir=/KNOPPIX$count
       [ -b $dev ] || mknod -m 644 $dev b 240 $count
       [ -d $dir ] || mkdir -m 755 $dir
      fi
      if ! losetup $dev $k >/dev/null 2>&1 || ! mount -r -t iso9660 $dev $dir >/dev/null 2>&1; then
       # Verbose error message
       echo -n -e "\n\r${RED}${BROKENIMAGE}: $k ${ON} "; mount | grep /mnt-system; dmesg | tail | grep cloop; echo -n "${NORMAL}"
       # Clean up for next retry
       for dev in /dev/cloop*; do
        umount -f "$dev" >/dev/null 2>&1
        losetup -d "$dev" >/dev/null 2>&1
       done
       return 4
      fi
      let count++
     done
    fi
     return 0
    }
    I'll see how long it'll run and if there turns out to be some problems I'm going to use your older version kl522

Senior Member registered user
    @ kl522
    Great thread. Subscribing.

Sorry, my mistake. With you now. Interesting thread. Will subscribe too.

Pity the FAQ on the finix site seems to have disappeared. (Post #2, this thread).

Puzzled by the early assertions about virtual memory size. I don't see how that can be deduced from the output of df -h. That reports the file system size, how much is used and how much is free. Nothing, as far as I know, about virtual memory sizes. One has to be careful with these figures when it comes to compressed file systems. It seems cloop reports the size of the file system before compression, squashfs after compression.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ kl522
    Great thread.
    Spot On ! Cracking ! Champion ! Works a treat !

It's late (for me), Need sleep. Will write more tomorrow.

I recommend this !

I remastered the DVD edition of 6.4.3 (with a few location modifications). It's big.

The cloop compressed file system was made with the -b 'try all and keep the best" option.
    The cloop method requires either 9 Gb of virtual memory I don't have or a 9 Gb temporary file.

First the size of the KNOPPIX file produced:
    Code:
    cloop:      3.85 Gb
    squashfs:   3.76 Gb
    Second the time taken:
    Code:
    cloop:      94 minutes
    squashfs:    9 minutes
    Third temporary disk space required:
    Code:
    cloop:      19 Gb
    squashfs:   10 Gb
    That's what they call a Grand Slam.

And for me there's a bonus. Boot time on my laptop is about 60 s with either solution. Take my USB stick into work where the whacky set up I have with the Virtual Machine makes for a very slow boot ...

Boot time at work:
    Code:
    cloop:      ~ 4 minutes
    squashfs:   < 2 minutes
    The udev probing is a lot quicker with squashfs at work. I've no idea why but it's a very welcome result.

The mksquahfs tool I had to install (from the Debian Squeeze repository) listed zlib1g as a 'depends on' package so I was surprised to see such a difference in size. Fundamentally, how good the compression is depends on the compression library used underneath. lzma is supposed to compress better than bzip2 which is supposed to produce compresed files 20 % smaller than good old zlib (aka gzip). It is also supposed to be fast to decompress. So there are good things to come.

It may be that Knoppix has stuck to cloop for sentimental reasons but it may just have been one less change to worry about at the time Knoppix 6 first came out two years ago. I don't think squashfs was part of the standard kernel then. If cloop reappears with support for lzma I'll be surprised.

As for the outrageous claim that Knoppix requires at least 1 Gb of memory and cloop is to blame ...

... the original article has gone but I found a precis at https://www.experts123.com/q/what-ar...d-knoppix.html and offending text is ....

Finnix can be copied to RAM and run in only 192MB; Knoppix requires at least 1GB
    Doh ! Finnix has no X, no desktop, no mega Windoze-style applications with user-friendly OK buttons so of course it is small and can be loaded into a modest amount of memory and, of course, when Finnix compares itself with Knoppix is used the toram cheatcode, which loads the entire uncompressed Knoppix iso into memory and comes out with the obvious statement that Knoppix requires at least 1 Gb of memory. By that same reasoning I need 10 Gb of memory to run by Knoppix DVD but my laptop doesn't have that much memory.

The claim is about as useful as stating that oranges and bananas aren't the same thing because bananas take a lot less time to peel and suddenly all sorts of people are deducing that this is why monkeys are smart and that drinking orange juice is bad for your health.

Now I hope squashfs has come a long way since I first met it. My first Knoppix was 3.6. It ran like a dream but I was a newbie and someone told me to install Ubuntu to hard disk. I couldn't install Breezy from LiveCD. A year later I couldn't Dapper. A year later I couldn't install Feisty until I tried the alternative (aka Debian) installer. All those squashfs error I had had nothing to do with my hardware or my media - it was Ubuntu's user friendly way of telling me I didn't have enough memory.

Perhaps Knoppix has a reason to stick with cloop after all.

Moderator Moderator
    The cloop compressed file system was made with the -b 'try all and keep the best" option.
    Second the time taken:
    Code:
    cloop: 94 minutes
    squashfs: 9 minutes
    ... building the cloop compressed file system without the "-b" parameter works about twelve times faster. And the effect by using the "-b" parameter isn't worth to waste so much time for only a little better compression.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast